Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should news agencies post pictures of accidents? *small update if anyone was curious*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 20 Replies

There was a bad accident close to my home yesterday. It was very tragic, four people were killed, three of them being teenagers. Here is the link to the article if anyone is curious, a link to the pictures is at the bottom of the article.

http://www.wkdzradio.com/pages/9733134.php?

Anyway, now there are a lot of angry people on Facebook posting on the radio station's page, saying that the pics should not be posted. The families had already been informed and none of the pictures show uncovered bodies. A lot of people are saying that the pictures are disrespectful to the families and should not be posted at all. I really don't see the issue, no uncovered bodies were shown and the families had already been notified. So I am curious to know what some other opinions are.

*update*

State police announced today that there is reason to believe that alcohol was involved in the accident. They are still waiting on toxicology reports, so I am guessing they talked to the survivor. Sad...

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM

um hello its called news, and so by passers are they suppose to COVER THEIR EYES?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM
i think it's entirely unnecessary to post pics of accidents. If you hear, "Car accident - 4 people dead", you know it was an ugly wreck. No need to have your suspicions confirmed visually.
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Apparently. It is a small town, and there have been a lot of news articles that have received scathing responses because they don't feel that the news should be airing dirty laundry. I am curious to see the response when the details of the accident come out. So far, it is known that four teenagers were riding around with a thirty year old driver in a stolen van at 930 in the morning when they collided with a huge tractor. I would like to know how that came about.

Quoting thetrollcat:

um hello its called news, and so by passers are they suppose to COVER THEIR EYES?

youknowimloved
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I think it's fine but I don't like the idea of capturing the deceased persons on film even if they are covered with a blanket. I think they should wait until the bodies have been removed, or take shots where they aren't in them. I can't even explain why I feel this way, it just feels wrong to me.

singlemom1208
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

OMG, people are so sensitive!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

it is not healthy to live in a sheltered world.

Quoting mommyrustina:

Apparently. It is a small town, and there have been a lot of news articles that have received scathing responses because they don't feel that the news should be airing dirty laundry. I am curious to see the response when the details of the accident come out. So far, it is known that four teenagers were riding around with a thirty year old driver in a stolen van at 930 in the morning when they collided with a huge tractor. I would like to know how that came about.

Quoting thetrollcat:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually have mixed feelings on this subject.. and my reasonings are different from most...

I don't have a problem with the pictures themselves as long as they are done tastefully and not showing body parts--some people really don't need to see that.. You have to remember that whoever the victim is--- they have loved ones and you should not tarnish the memory of them...

I however am against the pictures, as the news reporters and on lookers often try to get the best picture possible, meaning they are on the scene and often in the way-- and for emergency workers, like myself, this poses as another dangerous situation as we know have to watch all these people who have no clue what we are doing or how our equipment operates, as well as takes our attention from trying to save any patients.... I am very admant that when there is an accident, especially like this, traffic should be diverted and the road closed...

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM
I can see it as disrespectful. If it was my family member I'd be really upset too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy31308
by Ashlee on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM
My husband gets so mad over this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

That rationale does make sense. The road was closed for about half of the day and the pictures do look like they were taken from a distance, though. I agree that it would be different if there were body parts showing, but it looks like the pictures were taken during the clean-up efforts. 

I just don't see the point of repressing pictures because some people are overly sensitive. Plus, I really am wondering if people are upset about the pics and the article because it is going to reflect badly on the people involved. There was something odd going on being that it was four teenagers and a thirty year old driving a stolen vehicle.

Quoting darcibeisheim:

I actually have mixed feelings on this subject.. and my reasonings are different from most...

I don't have a problem with the pictures themselves as long as they are done tastefully and not showing body parts--some people really don't need to see that.. You have to remember that whoever the victim is--- they have loved ones and you should not tarnish the memory of them...

I however am against the pictures, as the news reporters and on lookers often try to get the best picture possible, meaning they are on the scene and often in the way-- and for emergency workers, like myself, this poses as another dangerous situation as we know have to watch all these people who have no clue what we are doing or how our equipment operates, as well as takes our attention from trying to save any patients.... I am very admant that when there is an accident, especially like this, traffic should be diverted and the road closed...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)