Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Potluck tomorrow at work. Please help

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So tomorrow's our holiday potluck. I guess for some people this is exciting, but for me, it's something that I always dread.

I work with someone that is so nasty. She barely combs her hair, chipped fingernail polish and is just gross. We work in a healthcare setting and I've seen her do some  pretty disgusting things. I've even called her out on a few things. I have to figure out how to avoid putting anything that she prepares on my plate. I have to be very discrete about it because, in the past, I've noticed how she watches what I put on my plate. She makes comments, which is totally ignorant to me, but, whatever, she is who she is.

This is a small cry for HELP. Any suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Okay how can I say this and be polite. The girl is ghetto. There is no such thing as avoiding a confrontation when it involves her. She's ignorant and I'm not and so therefore I won't be telling her that she's nasty. I'm amazed how you don't see that as being offensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why? I've worked with people that I didn't like before and they knew it. It doesn't have to be confrontational. Your both adults so just tell her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Just be honest with her.

There is no way I am going to tell her that she's nasty and I am not eating her food. I have to work with her, remember?

skittle_jitters
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Get there early find out what she brings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I guess I'm confused. Just don't put whatever she brings onto your plate. You don't have to take some from every dish. If she asks, just say you don't feel like eating it. Anything further is none of her business. You get to pick your food, not her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Thanks ladies! I have found the answer here. I will be piling my plate up high with very little room for her chicken. Then when she says something I will say "I had that last night, I forgot that was something that you said you might make". YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS You guys are awesome! Much love.

Mrsfarr
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Take a long look at everything and pick a few things you'd really like to have and just so happen to not pick hers that way you're not singling her dish out, others are left out too.

Or simply tell her it's not something you're interested in. If she's insulted or upset, so be it. She's an adult, she'll manage.
purplerobin
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Or just load up your plate and say how full you are going to be with all the stuff you already have. That way, if God forbid, you have to work with her next year you don't need a new excuse.

Or if makes comments, say, "Uhm, oh-kay..." and turn to someone else and talk to them. It's NONE of her business what you put on your plate or don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

She said and  I'll quote "I think I'm going to bring one piece of chicken for everybody". LOL Like you are trapped into eating the one piece of chicken she prepared for you. Okay, I know it sounds like nonsense and that I am probably overreacting but this girl literally calls you out. When, like you said, it's none of her business what you chose to eat.  I have figured out how to handle her though. Thanks for your advice.

Quoting Pnukey:

I guess I'm confused. Just don't put whatever she brings onto your plate. You don't have to take some from every dish. If she asks, just say you don't feel like eating it. Anything further is none of her business. You get to pick your food, not her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I am working on trying to leave this year. Hopefully, I will be laughing about this next year saying "I remember when....." LOL

Quoting purplerobin:

Or just load up your plate and say how full you are going to be with all the stuff you already have. That way, if God forbid, you have to work with her next year you don't need a new excuse.

Or if makes comments, say, "Uhm, oh-kay..." and turn to someone else and talk to them. It's NONE of her business what you put on your plate or don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Soooo....now that we have that figured out. I'd like to get down to the good part of this post. What are some of the nasty things you've witnessed her doing???
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Just tell her you don't care for whatever it is she makes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN