Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teens who get married are doing it just because they got pregnant!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Were you married as a teenager?

Why did you get married so early? You could be having fun in your twenties instead of paying bills!!

Did you just get married because you got pregnant and you felt as if you had to? Are you divorced now??

Post your teen wedding pics! 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
mrssmitley1210
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I was 2 weeks past my 20 birthday when I got married. 5 years ago yesterday. Still married. was not pregnant. We were engaged 5 years at that point.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Liz.Sisk
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM
I think it was the 'another mouth to feed' agenda. My mom never really knew why either. Especially since her first husband was abusive and tried to kill her 3 times. Her mother was abusive as well though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why did they want to leave without her??

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

My mom's mom forced her to marry at 17. So they could leave without taking her. No she wasn't pregnant and did not get pregnant until she was in her 20s. I got married at 18. I was not pregnant. I had my daughter a month before I turned 20. I got married in the courthouse. I don't do dress up waste thousands of dollars for one day crap. Way cheaper to do court house.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

We married when I was 18 and DH was 19.  Yes, our 9 month old DD was present on our wedding day but she was not the only reason we got married.  We were talking about spending our lives together before we even got pregnant.  Things just happened a little sooner than expected and out of order.  I am capable of being an independent woman, I could have walked away if I didn't want to be with him.  I was never stuck or trapped.  

I also don't see what "fun" I could be having right now.  What?  Getting shitfaced every weekend?  Yeah, fun.  I would have been living on my own regardless so I would actually have quite the financial burden.  I can still party like a 20-something if I want to.  Thing is, that just doesn't appeal to me.

We have been married for 4.5 years and in my heart I know I made the right choice in a husband.  He is wonderful in every way.  Sure, we are younger than most but, I don't expect "normal" people to understand it.  I know what I want and most would say that I am a consistent person.

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

You got engaged right after you turned 15?

Quoting mrssmitley1210:

I was 2 weeks past my 20 birthday when I got married. 5 years ago yesterday. Still married. was not pregnant. We were engaged 5 years at that point.

Master_Debater
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Got married at 19 because I loved him and we wanted to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow, that is crazy. Ours was June. It's nice to hear that it works out for some people. Seeing as everyone is so anti-young family these days.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting tifbrown:

Congrats to you guys :)

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting tifbrown:

I got married at 19, it was 13 days before my 20th birthday. While I was pregnant, pregnancy was not the reason for marriage. We had planned to get married the following summer, but with a baby on the way we bumped it up a year. No one pressured us and we didn't feel forced. We didn't want to live together before marriage, so it all kind of fell into place. We have been married almost 4.5 years, have 2 beautiful girls and are very happy. 

Crazy, pretty much exactly our story! We recently just celebrated 5 years!

Congrats to you as well! Even how close we got married to our birthdays is crazy, I got married 16 days before my 20th in November, and we had been planning for a wedding the following summer! Yay for successful young families! =)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I got married young. I was not pregnant, we just wanted to get married.

ETA: I was 19 and still finished college, lol.

mrssmitley1210
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Yes a month and a half after.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

You got engaged right after you turned 15?

Quoting mrssmitley1210:

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I got married at 18. I already had a child when we got married, was pregnant when i met him though, so he is step dad. I married him because I love him and 6 years later we are still married and I am pregnant with my 4th child, our 3rd together though he has raised my oldest as his own since he was born. I was never much a party girl anyways so it doesnt bother me that my life isnt exactly as I had planned it to be. My life has not been ruined, it has only taken a different course. I love the way my life is though and wouldnt change it for anything. 

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM
My parent married when young. My mom was 16 and my dad was 19. They weren't pregnant when they got married; they also had no kids. It was a year later they started and they were married for a little over 40 years. My dad passed away almost 3 years ago.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)