Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think of this as rape of a child?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

INFORMATION FROM WIKI

Mary Kay Fualaau (née Schmitz; born January 30, 1962), formerly known as Mary Kay Letourneau, is an American schoolteacher who was imprisoned from 1997 to 2004 for having sexual intercourse with her 13-year-old student, Vili Fualaau. She gave birth to two of Fualaau's children while incarcerated. After her release from prison in 2004, Letourneau married Fualaau and took his name.

Letourneau first met Vili Fualaau when he was a student in her second-grade class at Shorewood Elementary School in Burien, Washington;[25] she later taught a sixth-grade class in which Fualaau was a student. Letourneau began an intimate relationship with 12-year-old Fualaau,[26] and at 35 Letourneau became pregnant with Fualaau's child.[25] Letourneau was subsequently arrested, convicted and imprisoned for statutory "second degree rape of a child".[19]

Letourneau gave birth to two children with Fualaau, giving her a total of six children. Her first daughter with Fualaau, Audrey, was born in May 1997 while Letourneau was out of jail on bail. Daughter Georgia Alexis was conceived while Letourneau was on probation, and was born in October 1998 while Letourneau was incarcerated.

After Letourneau's release from prison in 2004, Fualaau, then age 21, filed a motion in court, requesting a reversal of the no-contact order against Letourneau.[17] A few days later the request was granted.[27] Letourneau and Fualaau were married on May 20, 2005 in the Seattle suburb of Woodinville in a ceremony at the Columbia Winery.[2] Exclusive access to the wedding was given to the television show, Entertainment Tonight[2] and photographs were released through other media outlets. Letourneau has said that she would like to have another child and return to the teaching profession[28] and indicated that by law she is permitted to teach at private schools and community colleges.[28]

Since their marriage, Mary Kay and Vili Fualaau have hosted three "Hot for Teacher Night" promotions at a Seattle night club with Vili serving as the disc jockey and Mary Kay as host.[29][30][31][32]

During an Inside Edition interview Fualaau said, "I'm not a victim. I'm not ashamed of being a father. I'm not ashamed of being in love with Mary Kay."[33] Attorney Anne Bremner, who met Letourneau in 2002 during Fualaau's civil suit, said that Letourneau considered her affair with Fualaau to be "eternal and endless." According to Bremner, "Nothing could have kept the two of them apart."[17]

Letourneau and Fualaau co-authored a book about their relationship, which was published in France as Only One Crime, Love (French: Un seul crime, l'amour). It has never been published in the United States.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (291-300):
Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Of course. If the sexes were reversed, no one would question that it was abuse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

yes it was rape. He was 12

redvelvet42
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

legally yes it was rape

doesn't really matter that he never considered himself raped/ violated/ abused he was

it's weird how this whole thing has worked out - i mean that they are happily married to each other and all. certainly usually never happes i'm sure.

didn't she loose contact/ custody of her other four children because of this illicit relationship?

Crystal2985
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The 20 year age difference doesn't so much bother me as the age he was when it began. To each their own.

cstargarner
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

How is it not?

Belovedmoonpixi
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

yes. If we were talking about an adult man and a 12 year old girl, even if she claimed to be madly in love, we wouldn´t even wonder whether it was rape or not...

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I agree with you.. Im not saying in anyway sex with a minor is ok AT ALL.. I just dont think it should be called Rape..

But kids should have to also be held responsible for their actions... We make them responsible for alot of things, like school, ipods, cell phones, clean rooms, why not their actions when it comes to sex? Not all kids are golden childs.. They can become manipulative lil things very young.. Yes its sad, but true... also where are these kids parents!!! Why do the kids have this much free time with other adults?...

It was just on the news the other day a local bus driver(f) was sleeping with a (m)student.. ON THE BUS!!! And they said at times the bus would be parked in front of the house- WOW!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

This ideal frustrates me to no end. It does not MATTER if a CHILD wants sex. What about that little boy that was posted here the other day, trying to hve sex with his mom? He looked like he was enjoying it. It's still molestation and rape. 

A child, ANY child, meaning anyone under the age of consent, has every right to parade around naked and promise sexual favors. As ADULTS, it is the adult's responsibility to say NO. Adults who have sex with children, EVEN if it's willing, are rapists. 

Should children act this way? NO. But they are children, and adults, being the responsibly party, should be teaching them the right way to behave, not taking advantage of their exploritative personalities. 

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

no not rape, like the recent case in tx i think it was, of the girl & multiple guys... For the most part she was very willing/wanted. No one bribe/ coherced/ forced her to have sex with the men..

Is it right as an adult to take advantage of a younger kid, no... But its very much NOT rape.. 

I knew/know 13yo girls that get big kicks out of taking advantage of older guys... They are MORE than willing & as they grew up didnt say "oh i was raped" cuz they know they went in search of..They may feel bad as their own kids come along, but I dont think many of these girls suddenly want their past cradle robbing lovers in the pen..

Quoting angelachristine:

so if a 13 year old girl has sex with a 35 year old man it's still not rape to you right? I just want to make sure because a lot of people seem to have a double standard when a male is the victim.

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

RAPE, no.... Very wrong & adult should be held accountable/punished, yes...

Only if she forced him would I call it rape...But they had a relationship. 

ivy801
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Wrong for so many reasons
singlemom1208
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM
I think it was disgusting and they make a weird couple.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

We are talking about a 13 year old, not 11.  And in many countries 11 year old girls are married to men much older than themselves because they have hit puberty and are of age to have children.  In the US we baby our kids way too much and look at them as children when they are not.  I have friends that say their 5 year old can't clean his own room because he is just a baby.  I have a friend that is 31 that lives with her parents and they still baby her.  We should allow kids as young as 13 to have a job if they want but we don't force them to work until much older.  Then they can't handle the responsibility because mommy babied them and they are lost when they get on their own. 

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Would it ever be okay for a 35 year old man to sleep with an 11 year old girl? What if he gets her pregnant?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN