Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think of this as rape of a child?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

INFORMATION FROM WIKI

Mary Kay Fualaau (née Schmitz; born January 30, 1962), formerly known as Mary Kay Letourneau, is an American schoolteacher who was imprisoned from 1997 to 2004 for having sexual intercourse with her 13-year-old student, Vili Fualaau. She gave birth to two of Fualaau's children while incarcerated. After her release from prison in 2004, Letourneau married Fualaau and took his name.

Letourneau first met Vili Fualaau when he was a student in her second-grade class at Shorewood Elementary School in Burien, Washington;[25] she later taught a sixth-grade class in which Fualaau was a student. Letourneau began an intimate relationship with 12-year-old Fualaau,[26] and at 35 Letourneau became pregnant with Fualaau's child.[25] Letourneau was subsequently arrested, convicted and imprisoned for statutory "second degree rape of a child".[19]

Letourneau gave birth to two children with Fualaau, giving her a total of six children. Her first daughter with Fualaau, Audrey, was born in May 1997 while Letourneau was out of jail on bail. Daughter Georgia Alexis was conceived while Letourneau was on probation, and was born in October 1998 while Letourneau was incarcerated.

After Letourneau's release from prison in 2004, Fualaau, then age 21, filed a motion in court, requesting a reversal of the no-contact order against Letourneau.[17] A few days later the request was granted.[27] Letourneau and Fualaau were married on May 20, 2005 in the Seattle suburb of Woodinville in a ceremony at the Columbia Winery.[2] Exclusive access to the wedding was given to the television show, Entertainment Tonight[2] and photographs were released through other media outlets. Letourneau has said that she would like to have another child and return to the teaching profession[28] and indicated that by law she is permitted to teach at private schools and community colleges.[28]

Since their marriage, Mary Kay and Vili Fualaau have hosted three "Hot for Teacher Night" promotions at a Seattle night club with Vili serving as the disc jockey and Mary Kay as host.[29][30][31][32]

During an Inside Edition interview Fualaau said, "I'm not a victim. I'm not ashamed of being a father. I'm not ashamed of being in love with Mary Kay."[33] Attorney Anne Bremner, who met Letourneau in 2002 during Fualaau's civil suit, said that Letourneau considered her affair with Fualaau to be "eternal and endless." According to Bremner, "Nothing could have kept the two of them apart."[17]

Letourneau and Fualaau co-authored a book about their relationship, which was published in France as Only One Crime, Love (French: Un seul crime, l'amour). It has never been published in the United States.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (301-310):
pampire
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Yes.  What the media never mentions is that while she was in prison, he tried to have a normal life.  He'd show up at local parties (this happened in my area), go to clubs, try to meet girls his age.  No one wanted to be around him.  Not fair.  I felt bad for him.  Had he been able to get with a girl his own age, who knows if he would have gotten back with her when she got released.  Those "Hot for Teacher" nights they host? Not that successful.  The people that go maily do so for the freak show factor.

momtoblueeyes
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM
What I think doesn't matter lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

She was a child predator. I don't know if that's necessarily rape, but what she did was wrong.

Master_Debater
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Yes. He was NOT able to consent!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DolphinFan85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

nope

Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

It is rape and emotionally damaging to the child. She totally overwhelmed him. Anyone who can remember their first love (not to mention if it was also their first sexual experience) will realize how much "in the fog" one can be as a kid in love. How many of us wish we were still with that person? He never had a chance. Especially when you factor in the media, money and notoriety. I feel sorry for him. I wonder how he's gonna feel when he's changing her diapers in a few years.

witchybabymomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Yes it was rape

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yes, it was rape.

Under the law, an underaged individual is not capable of forming consent to sex.  So the adult who has sex with the minor child is criminally liable for having sex with a child. 

As a not-very amusing coincidence, the two of them are crazy.  

It appears that they have turned being a criminal and being crazy, into a fairly lucrative profession.

Too bad they have so many enablers.

Proud_Mommy318
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM

yes it was rape he barely understood his body and she took advantage of him. I mean think, if it was the other way around him being 35 and her being the 12 year old. Some things are too much to handle. so yes it was RAPE!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Yes, I do.

Although she graduated many years before me, Mary Kay went to my high school - a private girls' prep school in Orange County, California. She disgraced us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN