Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think of this as rape of a child?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

INFORMATION FROM WIKI

Mary Kay Fualaau (née Schmitz; born January 30, 1962), formerly known as Mary Kay Letourneau, is an American schoolteacher who was imprisoned from 1997 to 2004 for having sexual intercourse with her 13-year-old student, Vili Fualaau. She gave birth to two of Fualaau's children while incarcerated. After her release from prison in 2004, Letourneau married Fualaau and took his name.

Letourneau first met Vili Fualaau when he was a student in her second-grade class at Shorewood Elementary School in Burien, Washington;[25] she later taught a sixth-grade class in which Fualaau was a student. Letourneau began an intimate relationship with 12-year-old Fualaau,[26] and at 35 Letourneau became pregnant with Fualaau's child.[25] Letourneau was subsequently arrested, convicted and imprisoned for statutory "second degree rape of a child".[19]

Letourneau gave birth to two children with Fualaau, giving her a total of six children. Her first daughter with Fualaau, Audrey, was born in May 1997 while Letourneau was out of jail on bail. Daughter Georgia Alexis was conceived while Letourneau was on probation, and was born in October 1998 while Letourneau was incarcerated.

After Letourneau's release from prison in 2004, Fualaau, then age 21, filed a motion in court, requesting a reversal of the no-contact order against Letourneau.[17] A few days later the request was granted.[27] Letourneau and Fualaau were married on May 20, 2005 in the Seattle suburb of Woodinville in a ceremony at the Columbia Winery.[2] Exclusive access to the wedding was given to the television show, Entertainment Tonight[2] and photographs were released through other media outlets. Letourneau has said that she would like to have another child and return to the teaching profession[28] and indicated that by law she is permitted to teach at private schools and community colleges.[28]

Since their marriage, Mary Kay and Vili Fualaau have hosted three "Hot for Teacher Night" promotions at a Seattle night club with Vili serving as the disc jockey and Mary Kay as host.[29][30][31][32]

During an Inside Edition interview Fualaau said, "I'm not a victim. I'm not ashamed of being a father. I'm not ashamed of being in love with Mary Kay."[33] Attorney Anne Bremner, who met Letourneau in 2002 during Fualaau's civil suit, said that Letourneau considered her affair with Fualaau to be "eternal and endless." According to Bremner, "Nothing could have kept the two of them apart."[17]

Letourneau and Fualaau co-authored a book about their relationship, which was published in France as Only One Crime, Love (French: Un seul crime, l'amour). It has never been published in the United States.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (311-320):
EponaMT
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM

The interesting thing about this story, in my opinion, is that if this had been a male teacher having sex with one of his twelve year old female students people would, rightfully, be calling the teacher a rapist. I've noticed there tends to be a double-standard when the perpetrator is a woman...but it's still the same crime. In the eyes of the law children are incapable of consenting to sex. Although the age of consent varies from state to state, I can't imagine anyone thinking it would be okay for an adult to have sex with a twelve year old. Lack of consent is what defines rape...so, whether the boy was willing or not, he was not of the age to make that decision. Even though it was statutory rape of a child, it's still a Class A felony. But legal stuff aside, she took advantage of a trusting child. Even though they're now married, her behavior was and still is disgusting.

andreamarie
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Rape.and brinwashing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Reverese it, a male teacher had this same relationship with a 13 year old girl. She gets pregnant, and he goes to jail, but perhaps gave her his savings before he went in to help support her and the babies. He gets out and she marries him.

Is it still acceptable and fine in your eyes?

To me it's not. It's wrong. If she truely "loved" him then she would have waited till he was legal age.

MyMonkeyMadness
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Doesn't matter he wasn't old enought to give permission 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Their love and marriage itself is not the problem. The problem is that their sexual relationship began when he was 12 and she was 35. If it was meant to be, they would have been fine waiting 6 years to consumate their relationship. At 12, he should have been worried about video games and zits. Not about sex and a baby.

wyattleemommy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

in this case it was rape doest matter if he wanted it 1shewas the adult and shoulve been responsible enough to say no or not come onto him. at that age he was not " responsible enough " to make that decision.

goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Ick :/ he's grown now but ick still :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM

True love can wait til 18

cece5000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Yes, it was rape. She was a full grown woman and he was a child.

Jazmyn1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:36 AM

it was wrong rape I see as a forceful act ALTHOUGH he is not old enough to make that decision at that age yes boys and girls are horney all the time at that age but he couldnt see it wrong to sleep with a teacher it was a piece for him...Now as he got older apparently he fell in love with her and they are happy now but the way it started WAS ALL WRONG and she should have acted an adult. IM 36 I couldt even imagine being with an 18 year let alone a kid younger then my own kid JUST WRONG

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)