Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Making your child give up their room/bed for out of town guests

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yay or nay?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Replies (911-916):
WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I am the same way.  My mother's family unfortunately, is not.  I actually got yelled at by my aunt for bringing up the fact that someone trashed my room, and damaged my stuff. Her exact words to me were "Well, if you didn't want anyone touching your stuff, why didn't you put it away?"  I really can't stand that woman.  She treats me like I am 8 years old still, and she is very rude to members of the family on my father's side. When her kids were younger, and broke something or made a mess, she never offered to clean it up or replace what they broke.  She would either leave it for my mother to take care of, or make my brother and I take care of her kids messes.  In her eyes, my cousins were perfect angels. Sadly most of my relative on that side of the family are that way.  With the exception of my brother who lives in Az, and my aunt and cousins from Indiana, I really don't get too excited when relatives come into town.

Quoting melakay1981:

If we stayed at someones house and my kids broke something I would be offering to replace it.  They never even offered.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

I know what you mean. I loved that record player. It was my dad's, and he gave it to me when he got a new one.  The LPs, I purchased at garage sales, flea markets, and thriftstores. I didn't have alot of them, but the ones I had were hard to find.

Quoting melakay1981:

This is why my kids will never be kicked out of their bedrooms for guests.  I would allow a guest to sleep in my room and me and my husband sleep on the couch before I did that to them.  I had a babysitting job that I busted my ass to save for that radio and only had it for a few weeks.  I am still bitter about it.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Same thing happened in my room when I was a teenager.  My mother put my uncle and his family in my room for 2 weeks one summer. Not only did my aunt yell at me everytime I tried to enter my room to get something, but she let my cousins ransack my bedroom. All my clothes and undergarments were pulled out of my dresser drawers and thrown in a huge pile on the floor.  They destroyed several audio cassette tapes, a few cds, and one of them put gum in the cd changer in the stereo my parents bought me for Christmas that year. What really got me steamed was that one of the kids broke the arm on my record player, and they scratched up my LPs so bad that they couldn't be played (my father was just as angry about the Lps as I was).

Quoting melakay1981:

Nope....My mom and dad did that when my uncle came in town with his 2 brats.  I slept on the couch while everything in my room got destroyed.  $200 radio that I just bought ended up junk because they let their kids get away with murder.

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:05 AM

NEVER. We give up our bed.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM

We hardly ever have anyone come visit from out of town....Thank god lol

Quoting WesternNYmom:

I am the same way.  My mother's family unfortunately, is not.  I actually got yelled at by my aunt for bringing up the fact that someone trashed my room, and damaged my stuff. Her exact words to me were "Well, if you didn't want anyone touching your stuff, why didn't you put it away?"  I really can't stand that woman.  She treats me like I am 8 years old still, and she is very rude to members of the family on my father's side. When her kids were younger, and broke something or made a mess, she never offered to clean it up or replace what they broke.  She would either leave it for my mother to take care of, or make my brother and I take care of her kids messes.  In her eyes, my cousins were perfect angels. Sadly most of my relative on that side of the family are that way.  With the exception of my brother who lives in Az, and my aunt and cousins from Indiana, I really don't get too excited when relatives come into town.

Quoting melakay1981:

If we stayed at someones house and my kids broke something I would be offering to replace it.  They never even offered.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

I know what you mean. I loved that record player. It was my dad's, and he gave it to me when he got a new one.  The LPs, I purchased at garage sales, flea markets, and thriftstores. I didn't have alot of them, but the ones I had were hard to find.

Quoting melakay1981:

This is why my kids will never be kicked out of their bedrooms for guests.  I would allow a guest to sleep in my room and me and my husband sleep on the couch before I did that to them.  I had a babysitting job that I busted my ass to save for that radio and only had it for a few weeks.  I am still bitter about it.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Same thing happened in my room when I was a teenager.  My mother put my uncle and his family in my room for 2 weeks one summer. Not only did my aunt yell at me everytime I tried to enter my room to get something, but she let my cousins ransack my bedroom. All my clothes and undergarments were pulled out of my dresser drawers and thrown in a huge pile on the floor.  They destroyed several audio cassette tapes, a few cds, and one of them put gum in the cd changer in the stereo my parents bought me for Christmas that year. What really got me steamed was that one of the kids broke the arm on my record player, and they scratched up my LPs so bad that they couldn't be played (my father was just as angry about the Lps as I was).

Quoting melakay1981:

Nope....My mom and dad did that when my uncle came in town with his 2 brats.  I slept on the couch while everything in my room got destroyed.  $200 radio that I just bought ended up junk because they let their kids get away with murder.

WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Same here.  I have a really small house, and family members would rather stay at my parents house instead, because their is more room.  I feel bad for my father.  He can't stand the lengthy visits. Not to mention, he can't just hop in the car and take off  to go hang out in a park or spend time with friends when everyone is there. For one it isn't fair to leave my mother there alone to entertain everyone, and second, if you even try to go out for a long walk, you get accused of being rude and antisocial.

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting melakay1981:

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Wow!  That is just crazy

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Same here.  I have a really small house, and family members would rather stay at my parents house instead, because their is more room.  I feel bad for my father.  He can't stand the lengthy visits. Not to mention, he can't just hop in the car and take off  to go hang out in a park or spend time with friends when everyone is there. For one it isn't fair to leave my mother there alone to entertain everyone, and second, if you even try to go out for a long walk, you get accused of being rude and antisocial.

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting melakay1981:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 98 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:26 AM

We have guests often and for extended periods of time as we are living overseas.  We all do the bedroom shuffle every time guests come.  We usually give up our room as there is an ensuite bathroom, move into DDs room that has a queen sized bed, and DD moves in with DS as he has two twins.  Never thought not to shuffle!  We have a spare room but it is not very private and a long walk to the bathroom.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN