Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I 100% believe you should live with the person you are going to marry before you marry them...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Seriously, had I lived with my husband before we got married I would not of married him! He is an ass, he is rude, mean, and emotionally abusive. He is totally NOT the person I dated at all! When my son turns 16 or whatever the age is that my husband cant get custody anymore, we will probably divorce! The only reason I am with him is because I wont risk him getting partial custody of our son, my son is autistic and has other medical conditions that my husband refuses to accept and I know he would ignore his medical needs!  If I had a daughter I would tell her to find out the real person she is going to marry before she marries them, definitely dont have a child with them until they show their real side! I love my son, and he was a surprise after we got married, and thats ok, he is my everything. But I would definitely say live with the person you are contemplating marrying!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (11-19):
Grumpylilpixy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I agree, I also think having sex before marriage is also something they should do. You don't make a life time commitment to someone you don't know all over. People check out a care more extensively then a mate for a life time.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Bingo

Quoting EAzizM:

I am glad i waited until marriage to live with my husband. If i had to do it over again, id do the same thing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cryssi_renee
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM

DH and I didn't live together before we got married. We have a great marriage, he is still the same kind of person he was when I married him 7 years ago. 

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM
It's not everyone's cup of tea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Living together before marriage is a nonnegotiable must to me. You don't really know a person until you live with him/her.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Statistically if you live with your partner first you are more likely to get a divorced, then if you married and then moved in together. 

We went over this in my Sociology of the Family college course.

Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

DF and I have lived together for the last 2 years and he is a slob.  He gets mad at me because I don't always do the dishes in a timely manner, but I keep my clothes picked up and put away.  If any are on the floor they are dirty.  When we were renting a house he had piles of clothes everywhere.  There was no way for anyone other than him to tell which piles were clean and which were dirty.

I think there are a few things couples need to discuss before they get married and living together gives them the chance.  Who will pay the bills?  Do we each pay half?  Where does all the "extra" money go?  If only 1 person works does the other get an allowance?  If both work than the regular household chores fall on who?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM
I agree with op
MissJordy
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

You said it perfectly. I live in with partner (have since Feb) and so far its going so well :) I'm very glad we are living together before getting married.

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

I also believe it is best to live with someone before you marry them. You don't get to truly know someone until you live with them. Then you get to see all the weird things they do at home that they don't do anywhere else.
We did thing completely backwards lol, dated got pregnant moved in together, then marriage. Yet I would not change a thing. I would have lived with him before marriage anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)