Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How many kids to a room?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH's sister has a lot of kids. Because of this multiple kids share rooms. I think it is a bit much to expect a 6th grader, 4th grader and 2nd grader to share a room together.... 

How many kids would you be willing to put in a room together?

My kids all have separate rooms and that is how I was raised so maybe multiple kids per room is common and I am just naive.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (31-40):
SoyLiciousMommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM

wow really!? 

eye rolling

Mrsfarr
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM
The situation is different for every family. My brothers shared a room for ages because there weren't enough rooms to go around.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM

My 3 girls share a room by choice. The two younger ones shared and oldest DD had her own and they were always in each other's rooms, so we moved all 3 to the master bedroom with their own bathroom. They like it. DS is 17 1/2 and has his own room.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM
My boys do. They have bunk beds. They end up sleeping in the top bunk tog ether most nights lol (we have 6 bedrooms)

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

all I had was a brother.   BUT when my half sister moved in with us for a while we shared myroom.  that didn't work out well because I was 13, used to not having my own shit messed with and she kinda just feltl ike an invader LOL.  Under normal circumstance though, I actually see it as beneficial for siblings to share their room. 

Quoting AndynsMommy:

This is what I was thinking. I shared a room most of my life, and I turned out just fine and nonresentful towards my parents.

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

in most countries it is normal for same sex siblings to share rooms.  In fact, it speaks volumes to the character of American's that so many of us find it unacceptable for children to share.

Sarafinn2012
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Well, all 3 of my girls usually sleep in the same room. They all have their own rooms, but they prefer to snuggle together. We have had a bedroom, a dressing room, and a play room out of the 3 bedrooms at one point, but my oldest is in 4th grade so we gave her her own room again, but still have a dressing room for all of them and the 2nd grader and kindergartner still share a "bedroom", but my 4th grader usually ends up on their bed with them. (they have a twin over queen bunkbed...but they all end up on the queen). If the kids don't mind sharing a room, it's fine IMO.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Well that is fine really if they are close in age I suppose. I just think its crazy like the OP is stating these people having four kids an donly two bedrooms cramming four in a single bedroom. That is just poor parenting in my opinion.

I think as kids get older they need their own space especially around puberty time. I would have murdered my sister if we had to share bedroom.

Quoting svolkov:

We have six bedrooms. My two boys wanted to get bunk beds and sleep in the same room together. They snuggle a lot lol

Quoting thetrollcat:

I am smart ENOUGH to only produce the off springs we can actually AFFORD and provide them rooms so they all have their OWN room.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

AndynsMommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM
It really depends on the family. When I was a kid, I shared a room with 2 sisters. It wasn't a big deal to me since all we used our bedroom for was sleeping. It never bothered us and it taught us to share and get along better. I'm expecting baby #2 in May and he will be sharing a room with his brother. As long as kids have a roof over their head, that should be the important thing.
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Mine both have their own room but I don't see anything wrong with kids sharing. My uncle had 7 kids. The 6 girls each shared a room with another and then the boy had his own but shared a bathroom with 2 of the girls. As Long as each kid has a bed to sleep in what difference does it really make I mean kids don't really spend all that much time in their bedrooms until they become hormonal teens wanting to shut everyone out. And he'll look at the Duggar family all te girls Share a room and all the boys share a room
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncohetero
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paparazzi5bling
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM

My kids have their own rooms, they are 7 (boy) and 3 (girl).  They shared a room until we moved into our house when they were 4 & 1.  I would not put more than 2 to a room, I know that 2 to a room is fairly common.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN