Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many kids to a room?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH's sister has a lot of kids. Because of this multiple kids share rooms. I think it is a bit much to expect a 6th grader, 4th grader and 2nd grader to share a room together.... 

How many kids would you be willing to put in a room together?

My kids all have separate rooms and that is how I was raised so maybe multiple kids per room is common and I am just naive.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I have two daughters and they share a room 3 and 5.
BellaMama7
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

my kids have their own bedrooms now, Orginally my kids shared and they are boy and girl, They were very young at the time so sharing wasnt a big deal. We had designed a bedroom after I found out we were having another child, So the bedroom wasnt ready yet.. However I do think that children sharing a room is fine, and I think its common.. 2 is a good number per room, but you gotta do what you need to..

laparla
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

My 2 sisters and I shared a room for a couple years.  If you have no space that's how it goes.  I think learning how to share space is good for kids, personally.

pattya925
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I would separate the boy... once they hit the point that privacy becomes an issue (for the older girls and/or the boy) it would be time to separate... For my son, that was around age 8.. lol, up til then, he was my little nudist!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well those kids are babies...

With older kids I would think it would get awkward.

Say you had 4 girls and a boy. The boy is the middle child. Would you put 4 girls together and the boy by himself, or would you place an older boy (8+) with sisters?

Quoting pattya925:

I have a family member dealing with this right now... relationship fell apart, lost the shared housing, financially cannot afford to get a large enough place for separate bedrooms.. Daughter is 2, son is 9 months...   And again, I say, who cares?? When they are that small, does it really matter?

Quoting Anonymous:

What about boys and girls sharing rooms? At what point/age does that become unacceptable, or does it?

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM
It's whatever works. For a bit all 4 of my kids shared a room. Thankfully the room was extremely large. Each had their own twin bed which was their space with plenty of room to play. Now we have girls in one room and boys in one. They love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM

sharing rooms around the same age is fine but also if you want to raise co dependent kids, then do it. Raise kids that someone NEEDS to be in their BED or ROOM to survive I dont care.

Quoting Anonymous:

Jobs are lost. Marriages break up. New marriages start. Step kids come in. Surprise pregnancies. 

It isn't always about welfare moms having too many kids. 

There were times when I was a teen that I shared a room with my step sisters on weekends when I was at my moms house. I adored my step sisters, even if they were 5 and 8 while I was 14. I didn't care in the least that I didn't have my own space. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

The solution is simple, dont have more kids than you can afford and provide for. Putting three kids in a room is absurd. Putting teenagers with younger kids is INSANE. Stop having kids if you cannot afford the room and space for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

If I had more kids, I would try to stick to 2 kids per room, and keep it. As close together in age as possible. We have three kids, each has their own room. 

Pit isn't always possible to have a larger home with more bedrooms,  though. If my only option were to have 3 in a room, then that is what I would do. 

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Worked for the Bradys

MomOfTwins789
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM
We have 4 bedrooms, and it is DH, our twins and I here. Right now the kids share a room, but obviously we have the space for them to have their own rooms when they want them, but they are only 2, and they don't sleep well without each other so it will be a while. We want one more in a few years and we will still have plenty of space for the future child to have his/her own room as well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

If you don't care, why are you spending so much time telling people how wrong it is to have kids that share a room?

personally, my kids each have their own room, because we have a house with enough bedrooms. But that doesn't make sharing rooms wrong, either. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

sharing rooms around the same age is fine but also if you want to raise co dependent kids, then do it. Raise kids that someone NEEDS to be in their BED or ROOM to survive I dont care.

Quoting Anonymous:

Jobs are lost. Marriages break up. New marriages start. Step kids come in. Surprise pregnancies. 

It isn't always about welfare moms having too many kids. 

There were times when I was a teen that I shared a room with my step sisters on weekends when I was at my moms house. I adored my step sisters, even if they were 5 and 8 while I was 14. I didn't care in the least that I didn't have my own space. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

The solution is simple, dont have more kids than you can afford and provide for. Putting three kids in a room is absurd. Putting teenagers with younger kids is INSANE. Stop having kids if you cannot afford the room and space for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

If I had more kids, I would try to stick to 2 kids per room, and keep it. As close together in age as possible. We have three kids, each has their own room. 

Pit isn't always possible to have a larger home with more bedrooms,  though. If my only option were to have 3 in a room, then that is what I would do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Just like kids sharing does. There are pros and cons to both and what works best for one family may not work best for another.

Quoting thetrollcat:

My sister has twins... They are now four... They recently built a house and now the twins are in seperate rooms.

Guess what? They now go to bed and sleep instead of spending hours staying up all night fucking around.

Kids having their own has its benefits.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's insane because you are beyond grasping the concept of sharing?

Sometimes I think you say stupid things just to stir the pot.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured