Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cigarettes

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM
  • 13 Replies
Do you smoke? Used to? How did you quit?

DH picked it up from a friend last year when i was pregnant. It's disgusting and drives me nuts because he stinks. DD just turned one and she loves giving kisses. But i don't like her being in his face after he smokes because he's up to about 6-8 a day and doesn't bursh his teeth after every one. It makes me feel bad :/

How can i help him quit?

Oh, and he has the nastiest cough in the world now. It's disgusting! I love him dearly, but this habit has to go :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maria_Peanut
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thomasmom07
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:28 AM
I used chantix. I smoked for almost 10 yrs and haven't had a cigarettes in 5 months. It's still hard somedays but was worth it. For your dh to quite he has to really want to quite. It will never last if it is done half assed. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maria_Peanut
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Congratulations!

Thanks for the advice.

He went from "It's only two a day"

Then "I can stop if i want"

Now he admitted "Im scared. I can't stop"

Its sad :(

Quoting Thomasmom07:

I used chantix. I smoked for almost 10 yrs and haven't had a cigarettes in 5 months. It's still hard somedays but was worth it. For your dh to quite he has to really want to quite. It will never last if it is done half assed. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thomasmom07
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM
It is really really hard I'm not going to lie. There are days that it takes all I have to not go to the store and get me a pack but I'm determined not to pick it back up. I feel so much better since I have stopped and my ds tells me all the time he is glad i don't smoke anymore and that makes it all worth it. Tell your dh to go to his dr and ask for chantix it really did help me stop. You can help by just supporting him. If he does decide its time he will need your help! If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me.

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Congratulations!

Thanks for the advice.

Quoting Thomasmom07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maria_Peanut
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for the advice! Im going to add you because he may have a few questions.

Good luck in staying smoke free and congratulations again!

Quoting Thomasmom07:

It is really really hard I'm not going to lie. There are days that it takes all I have to not go to the store and get me a pack but I'm determined not to pick it back up. I feel so much better since I have stopped and my ds tells me all the time he is glad i don't smoke anymore and that makes it all worth it. Tell your dh to go to his dr and ask for chantix it really did help me stop. You can help by just supporting him. If he does decide its time he will need your help! If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me.

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Congratulations!

Thanks for the advice.

Quoting Thomasmom07:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kimsd
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Whie Chantix can help, it definitely isnt for everyone. It can have some pretty nasty side effects. Be sure you two fully understand them before he starts taking it, if he decides he wants to quit.

I quit almost 11 months ago, took Chantix for a couple days, it made me feel like doodoo in the mornings, about the third day it actually made me sick. I stopped taking it. I smoked over a pack a day for 12 years and quitting actually wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. It helped me to look at the benefits of quitting any time I REALLY wanted one.

The third day is about the hardest.. if he can make it through that, he has a very good chance of being successful. Make sure you let him know you really want him to quit and show him a website with all of the benefits of quitting.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseBlossom
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:59 AM

mine quit cold turkey. i know many cant do that, but i told him i cant stand smokers because my mom is one and i hate the cigarette smell, so he threw away his cigarettes in the trash then and there. he relapsed once when we werehaving problems 2 years ago, but only for a week then decided it was dumb. my mom has tried quitting so many times, but i think she has always been half hearted because she has tried the patch, and that water vapor one, but she always goes back. i think they have to really want to

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Nope never smoked but here's a bump.

cklamour
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM
I quit in Januray after smoking for about 21 years. This is not my first time quitting; however, I plan to stay smoke-free permanently. It's hard and yes, I did smoke two cigarettes back in Sept but I can't see myself chain smoking again. The smell drives me insane, then again it always has.

Your husband has to be the one who wants -needs- to quit. It's going to take a lot of willpower for the first few weeks. I used the patch years ago but I was still chain smoking with it on. This time I didn't want any outside interference. I had to do it chemically free, and I did. If he just started then it might be a "little" easier for him to quit. He has to know what he wants and know that he will do whatever it takes to accomplish his goal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:23 AM

I used to smoke and quit.  Before I quit for good about 8 years ago, I had quit for periods of 5 or 6 years twice, and then started again.  You can't help him quit.  He has to want to quit.  For me, I just quit cold turkey.  But I wasn't a heavy smoker and didn't smoke in my house, car, or work place.  Just on the patio when home or when I was out.

My dh quit through nicotine gum and DumDum's (you know those little lollipops).  Something else to do with your hands and mouth in public. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN