Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i dont support same sex marriage.

Posted by   + Show Post
What do you think of when you hear someone say this? What if someone tells you they think being gay is wrong? Do you just consider it a difference of opinion? I'm not saying that this person is rude, or disrespectful towards homosexual people, just that in a conversation about said topic, they reveal their feeling on the subject.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Replies (171-180):
doomshroom
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM
This

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

I think they're ignorant and closed minded.
gemikris82
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

they are allowed to have their stupid opinions

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I am free to be prejudiced against unacceptable behavior (for myself and anyone over whom I have authority) but I am not free to be prejudiced against people for their race, handicap, gender, place of birth, or other immutable characteristic. 

I freely discriminate against people with poor credit, criminal histories, poor landlord references, etc in my business as a landlord.  I do not discriminate against immutable characteristics or things that do not affect my business (whom someone dates, what they wear, etc). 

We discriminate every day. We are all "prejudiced" against something, even if it is just being obnoxious. 

I don't know or care anything about your relationship.  As a practical matter and as a political point, I must support traditional marriage however, because it is best for society and children (when done right, and someone had the point that the church is divorcing just like everyone else and ought to get that right, with which I agree). 

Quoting wkukid:

No it isn't. They are both forms of prejudice. People compare my relationship to having sex with animals all the time. That's inappropriate.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This is a completely inappropriate comparison between behavior and innate characteristics.  One is born a certain race or gender.  One engages in sexual behavior, and it is a large spectrum.  Early experiences contribute to sexual practices; obviously early experiences do not affect race, gender, birth handicap or any other innate characteristic. 

Quoting wkukid:

I think of ignorance and closed mindedness. Most people didn't like black people years ago, they didn't think they deserved equal rights either.

wantstickybean4
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Everyone has the right to happy healthy relationships no matter the sex!
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

because she can. who are you, the post police?

Quoting CMcLaws:

You have posted your views on gay marriage a multitude of times.....so I'M wondering why you feel the need to stir the pot when you know it's just going to cause bickering.

My Blog                                          Head Admin

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

What is best for society and children is subjective. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I am free to be prejudiced against unacceptable behavior (for myself and anyone over whom I have authority) but I am not free to be prejudiced against people for their race, handicap, gender, place of birth, or other immutable characteristic. 

I freely discriminate against people with poor credit, criminal histories, poor landlord references, etc in my business as a landlord.  I do not discriminate against immutable characteristics or things that do not affect my business (whom someone dates, what they wear, etc). 

We discriminate every day. We are all "prejudiced" against something, even if it is just being obnoxious. 

I don't know or care anything about your relationship.  As a practical matter and as a political point, I must support traditional marriage however, because it is best for society and children (when done right, and someone had the point that the church is divorcing just like everyone else and ought to get that right, with which I agree). 

Quoting wkukid:

No it isn't. They are both forms of prejudice. People compare my relationship to having sex with animals all the time. That's inappropriate.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This is a completely inappropriate comparison between behavior and innate characteristics.  One is born a certain race or gender.  One engages in sexual behavior, and it is a large spectrum.  Early experiences contribute to sexual practices; obviously early experiences do not affect race, gender, birth handicap or any other innate characteristic. 

Quoting wkukid:

I think of ignorance and closed mindedness. Most people didn't like black people years ago, they didn't think they deserved equal rights either.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

as for the OP, i don't associate with idiots. and that's pretty much what I think of anyone against love.

mummy1990
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Its fine to have an opinion, and to be against it, but its completely wrong to prevent others from doing what they will with their lives. When I hear "I don't support same sex marriage." I hear, I think its okay for the government to impede on the rights of others just to satisfy my beliefs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

My DH has gay family  members. Even his sister is gay and we don't support gay marriage.

We don't share this with other people either. When we go to visit them we don't treat them any differently and when the ysay they want to marry we don't add our comments on the subject. We just stay quiet on the subject until it is changed.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Fornication - sex outside of marriage before God - is a sin because is not in our best interest, not because God doesn't want us to have any fun.  So mock me.  I don't care.  But there is one way that works best, and there is a reason for that; because God said to do what is right.  Not just whatever we want.  Sexual activity is restricted to prevent us from getting and sharing diseases and in order to have a mother and a father to raise children, as it should be. 

That is what is wrong with it. 

And if you want to get disgusting, I still can't get that post here out of my head, where someone was talking about having anal sex and how it broke the ring there and she or he was now in diapers and needed surgery.  There is a physical reason we aren't supposed to be doing this kind of thing

So, there you go.  I'm just not "with it" today, but for very good reasons of societal stability.  Long marriage here, so doing the right thing works in the long run.

Quoting Ali5683:

That is not a fair comparison either. What is wrong with two men having sex or two women having sex if they are not commiting adultery and are both consenting to it?

Quoting TranquilMind:

No,prostitution is not a crime in many places. 

I agree with you that the comparison is not as close.  A better comparison can be made between engaging in homosexual behavior and engaging in adultery.  Both involve having sex with someone you shouldn't be having sex with.   

Quoting Ali5683:

You can't be for real!

Being gay is not a crime. Being a prostitute is. There is such a HUGE difference. I'm having a hard time figuring out how you can compare these two!! This makes no sense at all.

Quoting RoseBlossom:

they are both victimless crimes...thats the comparison but i guess i had to spell it out...

Quoting Ali5683:

You're comparing gays to prostitutes? Seriously?

Prostitution and gay marriage are completely different for obvious reasons.

Quoting RoseBlossom:

Prostitutes have feelings too, but they are not allowed to do what they want...guess everyone is just ignorant

Quoting Ali5683:

Those who think being gay is wrong are ignorant. They apparently don't know anyone who is gay or bisexual. The LGBT community is full of wonderful, loving, compassionate, hard working people who are just like us. We're all human, we all have feelings and deserve to be treated equally regardless of race, color, gender, sexual preference, etc. They are people who deserve to be treated equally and with respect. Have your opinions all you want but don't treat someone like garbage just because YOU have a difference of opinion and are stuck in 1950!

Times have changed. It's like womens rights and blacks rights. Women can now have choice to live with freedom and blacks are no longer slaves. Eventually this world will wake up and realize that gays are what our world went through with womens rights and slavery in the 20th century. Someday, gays will have more freedom and finally be able to live a life without being treated like shit.

Those who are parents and against being gay, I often ask what they would do if one or more of their children came out as being gay. Some have actually said they would no longer be in their lives because they still believe it's a sin. That makes me sick! I would never ever throw my kid out like a piece of garbage like that. Parents who feel that way need to learn the meaning of unconditional love!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)