Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i dont support same sex marriage.

Posted by   + Show Post
What do you think of when you hear someone say this? What if someone tells you they think being gay is wrong? Do you just consider it a difference of opinion? I'm not saying that this person is rude, or disrespectful towards homosexual people, just that in a conversation about said topic, they reveal their feeling on the subject.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Replies (181-190):
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

See, I don't hear that at all.  Just because someone doesn't support same sex marriage doesn't mean that person has any authority whatsoever over anyone else.  Why can't he/she be free to have his opinion without your interference? 

The government has always supported marriage throughout the centuries.  But now, the tide is to change the definition of marriage, and I don't think that can be done.  People can have any relationships they want in a free society, but that doesn't make it "marriage." 

Quoting mummy1990:

Its fine to have an opinion, and to be against it, but its completely wrong to prevent others from doing what they will with their lives. When I hear "I don't support same sex marriage." I hear, I think its okay for the government to impede on the rights of others just to satisfy my beliefs.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

No, it really isn't subjective.  The studies they have done have shown that children in their original Mom and Dad's home do best in several areas. 

Quoting wkukid:

What is best for society and children is subjective. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I am free to be prejudiced against unacceptable behavior (for myself and anyone over whom I have authority) but I am not free to be prejudiced against people for their race, handicap, gender, place of birth, or other immutable characteristic. 

I freely discriminate against people with poor credit, criminal histories, poor landlord references, etc in my business as a landlord.  I do not discriminate against immutable characteristics or things that do not affect my business (whom someone dates, what they wear, etc). 

We discriminate every day. We are all "prejudiced" against something, even if it is just being obnoxious. 

I don't know or care anything about your relationship.  As a practical matter and as a political point, I must support traditional marriage however, because it is best for society and children (when done right, and someone had the point that the church is divorcing just like everyone else and ought to get that right, with which I agree). 

Quoting wkukid:

No it isn't. They are both forms of prejudice. People compare my relationship to having sex with animals all the time. That's inappropriate.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This is a completely inappropriate comparison between behavior and innate characteristics.  One is born a certain race or gender.  One engages in sexual behavior, and it is a large spectrum.  Early experiences contribute to sexual practices; obviously early experiences do not affect race, gender, birth handicap or any other innate characteristic. 

Quoting wkukid:

I think of ignorance and closed mindedness. Most people didn't like black people years ago, they didn't think they deserved equal rights either.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

My children are with their original parents and they are fine. My donor isn't a parent, he's a donor.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, it really isn't subjective.  The studies they have done have shown that children in their original Mom and Dad's home do best in several areas. 

Quoting wkukid:

What is best for society and children is subjective. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I am free to be prejudiced against unacceptable behavior (for myself and anyone over whom I have authority) but I am not free to be prejudiced against people for their race, handicap, gender, place of birth, or other immutable characteristic. 

I freely discriminate against people with poor credit, criminal histories, poor landlord references, etc in my business as a landlord.  I do not discriminate against immutable characteristics or things that do not affect my business (whom someone dates, what they wear, etc). 

We discriminate every day. We are all "prejudiced" against something, even if it is just being obnoxious. 

I don't know or care anything about your relationship.  As a practical matter and as a political point, I must support traditional marriage however, because it is best for society and children (when done right, and someone had the point that the church is divorcing just like everyone else and ought to get that right, with which I agree). 

Quoting wkukid:

No it isn't. They are both forms of prejudice. People compare my relationship to having sex with animals all the time. That's inappropriate.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This is a completely inappropriate comparison between behavior and innate characteristics.  One is born a certain race or gender.  One engages in sexual behavior, and it is a large spectrum.  Early experiences contribute to sexual practices; obviously early experiences do not affect race, gender, birth handicap or any other innate characteristic. 

Quoting wkukid:

I think of ignorance and closed mindedness. Most people didn't like black people years ago, they didn't think they deserved equal rights either.

mummy1990
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM

But then that gives special treatment to traditional marriages. Meaning, if the gov doesn't make it equal rights for all, they are holding others right to marriage above others. Thats completely unfair. Its totally fine if people don't like gay marriage, whatever, its none of their business anyways, but to say that someone can't marry someone because they're gay, is wrong.

Saying marriage is only reserved for the few is disgusting. What you're saying, when you vote no for gay marriage, you're saying you are better and they don't deserve the same rights as you. Its the truth. The ONLY reason why gay marriage isn't legal, is because of religious beliefs. There is no other solid reason.

Quoting TranquilMind:

See, I don't hear that at all.  Just because someone doesn't support same sex marriage doesn't mean that person has any authority whatsoever over anyone else.  Why can't he/she be free to have his opinion without your interference? 

The government has always supported marriage throughout the centuries.  But now, the tide is to change the definition of marriage, and I don't think that can be done.  People can have any relationships they want in a free society, but that doesn't make it "marriage." 

Quoting mummy1990:

Its fine to have an opinion, and to be against it, but its completely wrong to prevent others from doing what they will with their lives. When I hear "I don't support same sex marriage." I hear, I think its okay for the government to impede on the rights of others just to satisfy my beliefs.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I consider them a bigot.  No different than if they'd said, "you know, I think Black people are inherently inferior to White people."  Yes, they're entitled to their opinion, as many of you love to point out when it comes to this subject, but that opinion makes me think FAR less of them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I am against gay marriage- I think a marriage should be between a man and a woman.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Every competent adult can now and always could marry.  There simply has never been any ability to marry someone of the same gender.  All of the sudden, this is being pushed on everyone, as if it is equivalent.  It isn't.   

Do what you want.  Just don't expect others to embrace it fully just because you want to do it. 

Quoting mummy1990:

But then that gives special treatment to traditional marriages. Meaning, if the gov doesn't make it equal rights for all, they are holding others right to marriage above others. Thats completely unfair. Its totally fine if people don't like gay marriage, whatever, its none of their business anyways, but to say that someone can't marry someone because they're gay, is wrong.

Saying marriage is only reserved for the few is disgusting. What you're saying, when you vote no for gay marriage, you're saying you are better and they don't deserve the same rights as you. Its the truth. The ONLY reason why gay marriage isn't legal, is because of religious beliefs. There is no other solid reason.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mummy1990:

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Quoting AleaKat:

Unless they start being offensive and ignorant they are entitled to their opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

i feel that people like you are so ignornant......and should never say such things...i believe that if they are happy who are you to tell them that they can't share in the union of marriage, just like you

Quoting thefiregoddess:

i consider them a disgusting human being who should not be allowed to marry for being so ignorant.

Liz.Sisk
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM
I personally am not a fan of gay people. But I don't go and deliberately try to offend them. Just because I think it's wrong doesn't mean they're not still human. If they are not offending me why should I offend them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)