Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bullied about prenantal testing

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 165 Replies

This is my second pregnancy. At the point where they usually do genetic testing during pregnancy, early on, my doctor bugged me at every visit to do it. I refused, saying there was no good reason to have it done. If he could give me one, I'd do it without question. I had a dating ultrasound done. I got a phone call from his office receptionist saying that the results came back and the doctor wanted to discuss them with me, and was I SURE I wasn't doing the genetic testing? She wouldn't tell me what was wrong over the phone of course. I hurriedly booked an appointment. I cried for weeks because I thought something was wrong with the baby. I arrived at the appointment and said "You were needing to discuss the results of the ultrasound with me?"

"No...why? Every thing's fine!" He smiled and checked my blood pressure, then told me again to do the genetic testing. I refused and was just flabbergasted.

I transferred to a gynecologist and when it came to the point (27 weeks or so) where they can do glucose testing for gestational diabetes, the nurse asked me to do it that day. I said "I can't today, I have to get going. Is there a reason this needs to be done...is it mandatory?" She glared at me and said very rudely "Yes...well...yes, it is, you need to have it done." I talked to the gyno and she said I need to come in and have it done at the next appointment, she wouldn't give me a reason why it needed to be done. I am overweight but have only gained 5 pounds and I'm 7 months pregnant, I've been eating healthy, feeling mostly good and no signs of anything being wrong. She even told me I was perfect for weight gain and doing well.

I'm skipping out on the glucose testing today. I know the nurse will literally harrass me about it and talk behind my back at the office (they speak another language there)...but I don't care.

I had midwives with my first pregnancy and everything went perfectly. They never did any unecessary tests, they never made me feel stupid or careless and they genuinly respected my opinions and choices. I'm wishing I had went to the midwives this pregnancy as well...

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Bump.

RubyMom0526
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I'm with you on not doing the extra testing 

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this
That is just rude. Is there a reason why you can't switch to the midwives now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

I would do the glucose test simply because I'd rather know if I have gestational diabetes, but I would find a new doctor because there's no reason they should be doing this to you.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone.

I find a lot of testing to be ridiculous unless there's a reason for it. Diabetes runs in my family (maternal grandparents and paternal grandparents), but I've been watching my weight and have none of the symptoms.

Quoting RubyMom0526:

I'm with you on not doing the extra testing 

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I'm a tad over 7 months now, I highly doubt a midwife would take me :( I've hated my experience with the gyno's office so far, I'm hoping I can just suck it up because it won't be long before it's over.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM
9 moms liked this

The genetic testing I can get but the glucose testing you should get because you're at higher risk for gestational diabetes due to being overweight. That's kind of a no brainer and at this point you're just being kind of stubborn. 

rawrmommysaurus
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Just tell them your insurance doesn't cover that, or you don't hae the money for the copay.  

Or you could just flat out tell them, no I am not doing it, and if you ask me one more time I will report you...(to who I have no clue.  the department of health?  I dunno.)

If I were you I would be looking for a whole different network of drs, and hospitals.  Sounds like they aren't taking your wishes seriously.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It is better to be safe than sorry but I've heard bad things about that test, that it basically sets you up for failure and can have false positives. 

I'll be getting a new family doctor (the one who harassed me about genetic testing) after the baby is born.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I would do the glucose test simply because I'd rather know if I have gestational diabetes, but I would find a new doctor because there's no reason they should be doing this to you.

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Most will take transfers until 36 weeks. It's worth asking!

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I'm a tad over 7 months now, I highly doubt a midwife would take me :( I've hated my experience with the gyno's office so far, I'm hoping I can just suck it up because it won't be long before it's over.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)