Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a normal letter to get from the kids school?!?!?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Good Morning Parents,

It has been a tradition at   ------------ to give the teachers $$$ to spend while our little ones are waiting for Santa to arrive. 

I would like to start a collection this week through Tuesday of next week.  If everyone could please bring $20.00 per child this would cover giving both (teacher 1)and (teacher 2) $200.00 each.  As well, if you want to bring them something else please feel free to do so.

It is the Holiday spirit and there is no time like now to thank those who watch over our little ones while we are at work. 

This collection would only be for our room teachers. 

I hope that we can count everyone in again this year.  Please drop a check ( preferably ) for $20.00 in an envelope in Hunter’s box at school.  Again, I will start collecting today through next Tuesday.  That way, we can give it to them during our classroom party right after the performance.

Thank you all in advance for giving!

Xxxxxxx

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

this would be pretty random if I were a troll, I doubt much drama is going to start from a PTA mom asking for money

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Yeah we got one for the 3 year old and he has 3 teachers. I'm not doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallenstars
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Never.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emptynesst
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM
That is ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitarichman
by Anita on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I've received that type of letter from the "room moms" at dd's school.  I think it is unfair and should not be done.  The gift to the teacher should be what can be afforded by the parent, not a  specific amount dictated by some parent.   

nurbabe82
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Wow, I would have a very hard time giving anything receiving a letter like that.

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The ONLY time a letter like that was sent home with my DD was in first grade, one of the other mom's sent a letter saying something like "I was thinking of taking a collection up for Mrs (teachers name), and buying her the following bag (or bags depending on how much is raised) from Vera Bradley"..
WE had until a certain day to tell the mother if we were going to partcipate in the gift, once we sent the reply she figured out how much we would all pay and we all gave her the money...

I think at the end of it all we each paid less than $10 and she got 2 Vera Bradley bags (that she still uses 2 years later)..

I think its horrible they are demanding you pay $20, it should be optional!!

Sagely
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM
4 moms liked this

So the letter isn't from the actual school, right?  It's from another parent? 

That sort of thing seems to be fairly common in this area among the private schools and schools in well-to-do communities, but generally the gift is not a cash/check.  Generally, it's pooling of money to buy the teacher something nice, like a camera or some other electronic that could be twisted in some way to say it could be used in the classroom (code of ethics doesn't allow teachers to accept "excess" gifts...a $5 gift card to Starbucks doesn't raise eyebrows but a $200 check most certainly would!!).

3KidsOneMom
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

My kids school almost never ask for money, even her field trips are free except for one that they take to the zoo.

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM
I find that kind of rude. It doesn't really sound like a request either. We like to pick a personal gift for our teachers. I usually spend on a personal gift $20-40 X 3 kids then add another $20 each. Minimum I'd be spending $120. Seems a bit steep to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN