Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't understand how people can be SO disconnected from their kids.

I was shopping at Toys r us today, and I was looking at the LaLaLoopsy dolls. The lady next to me started asking me questions about them, like what ages they were for and if they are a popular toy. I was like yeah, they are popular my 4 year old is just starting to get into them. And the lady was like "Oh, I wonder if my 15 year old would like this. I don't know what she likes any more." 

I just smiled and went on my way... but I was thinking damn lady, you must not know your daughter at ALL if you can even consider a LalaLoopsy doll as an appropriate gift for a 15 year old. How sad! 

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I buy my stepson baby/toddler toys.  He is 11 but he is autistic and developmentally 2/3.  Maybe that was the case with this woman and her daughter?

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM
That's sad! My mil bought my SIL an American girl doll for Christmas one year... My SIL was almost 30. The thing is that my mil has some mental issues and really likes dolls, so she thinks everyone else does too.

Quoting poeticrose09:

My mom kept trying to buy us toys for little kids even thou we asked her not to. She wasnt right in the head from all the ECT that was done.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM

That's pretty sad.

do11face
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I could see a teenager liking them.

They have that cute/ creepy thing going on.

Hell, I'm a grown woman and kind of excited my 3 year old asked for some this year, lol.

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM
You know, it's possible. In that case, I would understand And honestly thats why I didn't say anything to her. But it sounded like she just didn't know what her daughter likes.

Quoting CeeGee81:

I buy my stepson baby/toddler toys.  He is 11 but he is autistic and developmentally 2/3.  Maybe that was the case with this woman and her daughter?

702girly
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

It's easy to wonder how parents can possibly not know everything about their teenager when you have a four year old.

My kids get harder to buy for every year. I have no frickin' idea what to get my 23 year old. Guess I'm a shitty mom. LOL

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM
No, that's not what I was saying at all. I understand that teenagers are hard to buy for, but most of us at least understand a level of age appropriateness.

Even if I were shopping for a 15 year old stranger... There's a good chance that I won't be shopping in the little girls section of toys r us.

Quoting 702girly:

It's easy to wonder how parents can possibly not know everything about their teenager when you have a four year old.

My kids get harder to buy for every year. I have no frickin' idea what to get my 23 year old. Guess I'm a shitty mom. LOL

daiseymae2
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Teens are hard to buy for. You never know when they will change what they like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM
MAybe it's a trend in the teen world?

When I was a teen everyone wanted freakin plastic pacifiers and walked around with them on their neck.

Don't even get me started on the "troll" dolls and beanie babies.

Teens are wierd lol
Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Wow, that's sad....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)