Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't understand how people can be SO disconnected from their kids.

I was shopping at Toys r us today, and I was looking at the LaLaLoopsy dolls. The lady next to me started asking me questions about them, like what ages they were for and if they are a popular toy. I was like yeah, they are popular my 4 year old is just starting to get into them. And the lady was like "Oh, I wonder if my 15 year old would like this. I don't know what she likes any more." 

I just smiled and went on my way... but I was thinking damn lady, you must not know your daughter at ALL if you can even consider a LalaLoopsy doll as an appropriate gift for a 15 year old. How sad! 

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
702girly
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Oh, I know you weren't being nasty. It just struck me as funny. I feel more and more clueless as my kids get older.

Last year the 11 year old wanted Beyblades because he LOVES Beyblades. I was like, "since when do you like Beyblades." He said, "Since I've been playing with Joey's Beyblades for the past six months." Then I was all, "Who the hell is Joey?" and he sighed and said, "mom... Joey is Michael's cousin... duh..."

And I was all, "oooh, so when Micheal's cousin comes to visit you guys play Beyblades. ok."

LOL

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

No, that's not what I was saying at all. I understand that teenagers are hard to buy for, but most of us at least understand a level of age appropriateness.

Even if I were shopping for a 15 year old stranger... There's a good chance that I won't be shopping in the little girls section of toys r us.

Quoting 702girly:

It's easy to wonder how parents can possibly not know everything about their teenager when you have a four year old.

My kids get harder to buy for every year. I have no frickin' idea what to get my 23 year old. Guess I'm a shitty mom. LOL

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM
LOL

Quoting 702girly:

Oh, I know you weren't being nasty. It just struck me as funny. I feel more and more clueless as my kids get older.

Last year the 11 year old wanted Beyblades because he LOVES Beyblades. I was like, "since when do you like Beyblades." He said, "Since I've been playing with Joey's Beyblades for the past six months." Then I was all, "Who the hell is Joey?" and he sighed and said, "mom... Joey is Michael's cousin... duh..."

And I was all, "oooh, so when Micheal's cousin comes to visit you guys play Beyblades. ok."

LOL

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

No, that's not what I was saying at all. I understand that teenagers are hard to buy for, but most of us at least understand a level of age appropriateness.

Even if I were shopping for a 15 year old stranger... There's a good chance that I won't be shopping in the little girls section of toys r us.

Quoting 702girly:

It's easy to wonder how parents can possibly not know everything about their teenager when you have a four year old.

My kids get harder to buy for every year. I have no frickin' idea what to get my 23 year old. Guess I'm a shitty mom. LOL

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Odd but I'm sure there is a reason behind that

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Her DD could be special needs, my 5yro plays with toys meant for newborns and infants bc he's developmentally delayed.

momtoallkids
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I played with barbies until I was 16 but that was back in a time when little girls were innocent and sweet and not dressed as littles vamps or sluts.

edelweiss23
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I am 32 and I still love American girl dolls!!!

No developmental issues here!

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

That's sad! My mil bought my SIL an American girl doll for Christmas one year... My SIL was almost 30. The thing is that my mil has some mental issues and really likes dolls, so she thinks everyone else does too.

Quoting poeticrose09:

My mom kept trying to buy us toys for little kids even thou we asked her not to. She wasnt right in the head from all the ECT that was done.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Jeeze! Those had to be the dumbest fads. I got really "uncool" really quick because I refused to buy into that stupid shit.

Quoting Anonymous:

MAybe it's a trend in the teen world?

When I was a teen everyone wanted freakin plastic pacifiers and walked around with them on their neck.

Don't even get me started on the "troll" dolls and beanie babies.

Teens are wierd lol

MamaRae85
by *you're on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I know teenagers that would like them. They don't sit there on the floor and play pretend with them. They're pretty, and make for a cute display.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

So....1762? lol

Quoting momtoallkids:

I played with barbies until I was 16 but that was back in a time when little girls were innocent and sweet and not dressed as littles vamps or sluts.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

My mom buys me a Barbie every year at Christmas...I collect them, and DD and I get them out and play with them together every now and then. I'm a grown woman and I love me some Barbies!! Call me weird if you must...it won't bother me a bit! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)