Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sheesh. I thought he understood.

Posted by   + Show Post

My son likes guns. I try to make it a healthy hobby instead of a creepy obsession. We are a gun owning family and I feel like he should learn weapon responsibility, gun safety, and fun maintenance.  I've gotten him books galore and told him at 9, if he can demonstrate the qualities he needs I will take him the ranges and what not. 

So that made him happy, but still he took a live round to school today, that he must have pocketed from DHs work for show and tell. Dh is the armorer for his unit. He lost a week of recess. 

So now I, not sure how to proceed. I guess my offer is off the table, and further,ore I'm removing all toy weapons from his possession. Lego weapons, fake toy guns, all of it. I guess I'll tell him that he crossed the line and there is no room for discussion until he can show that he is responsible enough to be ready for those kinds of things. 

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
manicMOM_DLC
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you ever seen a bullet. They are very small and easily stashed. I dont think dh will get I trouble. He was there learning about what his dad does, and also having talks from the higher ups about weapon responsibility. It's likely that he found it on the floor of the weapon tank and picked it up. Idc if the school reports it. I welcome any prying eyes into my home. They will pleasantly surprised.
And my children are not poorly supervised lol. However I'm no helicopter or surveillance drone. I expect my children to think for themselves, and respond to their mistakes accordingly. I'm not sure how to respond and came for advice. Thanks for your attempt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lack of supervision? How the hell did he get a hold of a live round and keep it hidden and able to sneak it to school? Also can't your husband get in trouble if the school reports it?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
manicMOM_DLC
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I really appreciate your response. I will keep it in my mind tonight. Thanks!

Quoting ragdoll13:

We talked about how guns are a sticky issue.  We didn't go in depth obviously because he's 9, but we explained that guns and ammo really scare a lot of people.  We talked about bad people doing bad things with the guns in schools, and that just like he's had some friends do things that weren't very friend-like, you can't always judge someone from the oputside.  So even if HE knew that he would be safe and careful, not everyone else did.     

We also talked about that if his friends were wrong about something gun related, even if they wouldn't believe him, all that mattered was that HE himself knew he was right.  And that he could feel some sort of pride from it.   we also went over the school rules again, and reinforced that not everyone is safe or smart with weapons.  

For a while my dad would randomly check his pockets and bookbag before he got on the bus, just to be sure (little boys are sneaky!)   

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

That is probably the most likely scenario but I just don't know how to get him to understand that it's not ok. Wwyd?

Quoting ragdoll13:

My dad's home was always and is full of guns, and me and DH love and own guns.   My youngest brother was doing this, bringing in spent rounds to school, or taking the orange cap off of his cap gun and taking it to school.  My dad being military is more of a "i;m going to intimidate you and you will tell me maggot!" about discipling boys, and my step mom is just clueless.  So I talked to him.   It was NOT about fear or intimidation or anything violence related.  He just wanted to show off.   His friends were talking about guns and weapons (they're little boys, come on, that stuff is fun)   and he was upset because some of the stuff the other little boys were saying was not true, and he was trying to show them that he was right, and that he knew the real facts.   He just wanted to bbe Mr Popular.

Maybe your son is doing the same?

manicMOM_DLC
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he did it to score cool points. I don't see my son as the weird power freak.
He brought if for class show and tell.

Quoting rvb146:

Its sounds like a popularity issue. Or he's trying to seem powerful or superior?

I think sitting him down and listening to him would help. Ask him everything like why would you take it to school, who did you want to show it to, why did you want to show it to that person, do you realize the seriousness of this issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

yah good luck with that.

your kid will be the kid we see on the news who blows students away with a gun when he is 15 or 16... good job mom (sarcasm!!) smh 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This one just cracks me up.

Quoting FunnyKids:

How old is he? I would think about taking him to a shrink, but make sure you don't take him to the pill pushing kind, take him to one that gets to the root of the issue. It sounds to me like there is an underlying issue here, something drawing him to guns that he's not telling you or may not even know himself.

I would def. take it all from him until you find out what is going on. Also, make sure you lock up the real ones and the ammo REALLY well because as soon as you take his he could go looking for yours to play with.

manicMOM_DLC
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM
My son already goes to therapy for ADHD. He has no impulse control which may be part of the problem. I don't think he did this will ill intent, just more of a "look how cool I am" deal. I just wanted to seek advice for the best approach.

Quoting FunnyKids:

How old is he? I would think about taking him to a shrink, but make sure you don't take him to the pill pushing kind, take him to one that gets to the root of the issue. It sounds to me like there is an underlying issue here, something drawing him to guns that he's not telling you or may not even know himself.

I would def. take it all from him until you find out what is going on. Also, make sure you lock up the real ones and the ammo REALLY well because as soon as you take his he could go looking for yours to play with.

manicMOM_DLC
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Riiiight. Because every kid who likes guns shoots up schools. Generalize much?

Quoting Anonymous:

yah good luck with that.

your kid will be the kid we see on the news who blows students away with a gun when he is 15 or 16... good job mom (sarcasm!!) smh 

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM
maybe he just thinks its cool? idk...you say he is only in 2nd grade? i think he is still too young. his actions are showing that. i think its normal for little boys to be gun obsessed especially if dad has lots of guns. i think your punishment is a good one. but maybe tell him you can try again when he is 10 or 11...idk he might be bugging you constanty then tho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jkampbyll
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM
You answered your own answer he was sneaky.believe it or not parents really don't have eyes in the back of their heads .

Quoting Anonymous:

Lack of supervision? How the hell did he get a hold of a live round and keep it hidden and able to sneak it to school? Also can't your husband get in trouble if the school reports it?

rvb146
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM
It didn't sound like a power thing but I thought I'd mention it.
How old is he? Maybe sign him up for hunter's safety. They give you a card when you pass. Maybe he will show the card off instead of the real deal.
Or make your own pretend class. Make a fake certificate or something.

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

I'm pretty sure he did it to score cool points. I don't see my son as the weird power freak.

He brought if for class show and tell.

Quoting rvb146:

Its sounds like a popularity issue. Or he's trying to seem powerful or superior?

I think sitting him down and listening to him would help. Ask him everything like why would you take it to school, who did you want to show it to, why did you want to show it to that person, do you realize the seriousness of this issue.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN