Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Working moms have it harder.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do working moms have it harder?

Options:

Sure do

No

It is equally as difficult

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 237

View Results

Mothers who work outside of the home have it harder than stay-at-home moms. In addition to working 40 hours a week or more they still have a family's laundry load, a house to clean, a household to run, children to feed and clean-up after etc.

If you agree post that you do below. If you disagree tell me what reasoning you have to support your argument.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Replies (61-70):
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

The fourth option would be....

None of the above because it varies from case to case....

It really depends.   I mean, if you SAH and your kids are in school full time, they have been raised to do at least a few household chores, and DH at least picks up after himself, then you are living this SAHM's dream because that's not MY life.

I haven't picked up a book today, watched 10 minutes of a show, and when I finally got some cafemom time... my kid peed the bed while WIDE AWAKE because she was too lazy to get up and go on the toilet... GRRR...

Today, I would dare any working mom to complain that I have an easy life... because I'm not feeling like it's been that easy...

Between home educating three kids (preK, 3rd, and a 5th grader getting ready to start some 8th grade work)... and raising baby number 4 who is not quite 6 months old now....  Trying to keep house with everyone home ALL the time to make messes ALL the time... 

I had to drag them all to the docs office today because my prek has been having some hearing problems lately and we are dealing with that and behavior modification from that...

I still need to go clean the kitchen for the night...but I'm waiting for DH to get home from his night class.

three of us had the stomach bug over the weekend, and I STILL found a spot in the bathroom that didn't get cleaned well enough YUCK!   (I was one of the three down for the count Sunday AM)...   PLUS we had just had my daughter's bday party on Saturday and I thought I was just having period cramps... no... stomach bug... yum!

Shull87
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

IDK it depends on how hard you work as a SAHM! Me im always painting sanding cabints or home schooling (pre school, there going to attend public in kindergarten), cooking cleaning laundry working out side, I work out such as running, boxing, tapout, disiplining kids that takes forever.  I do on-line college and dont go to bed til sometime 1 am and I get up at 7 am sometimes 8 to start all over again.  It really just depends who you are, I would never compare myself to another SAHM or Working Mom!  In my opion as long as we love our kids and pay attition to them to give them a better life we are all AWESOME.  BUT (haha, there is always a but) Their are moms that just suck woking moms or sahms. 

Oostera
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not agree. I voted that it is equal.

If mom works for 40hrs, she gets lunch and breaks, chats with adult co-workers, and gets to have a little bit of silence here and there where the kids aren't shouting in her ear. When she comes home the kids are happy to see her because she's been away and she is more ready to spend time with them. She has housework, true.

If a mom stays home, she tries to grab a break while kids are napping, if they nap. She has no adult conversation, the kids are at each other. There are good days, easy going days of laid back relaxation, but not regularly. It is lonely. Sure, she has housework.

See, it doesn't matter the scenario. What matters is the person. What can you handle? How do you feel about doing one or the other? Will either work with your family? They are both difficult in different ways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I stayed at home for 4 months when I first moved to Hawaii and before I started school. But with my son in school all day, and when the house was clean, I was bored.  But at least working moms can go to work and get adult interaction.

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

as a working mom, and a going back to school mom, i have like 3 jobs (work, school, kids) and i dont think that it is harder than a sahm, or a going to school mom, or a working only one job mom. everybody faces unique challenges, thats just part of life. if you dont have someone that helps you out at home, yeah, that makes it harder, but dh and i are a team, and he does his fair share around here, oh, and he works and is in school too, so he is just as busy as me, and we make sure that we make time for the kids, and for my grandma. its just life. and life is crazy, for everybody.

BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM
What kind of Work are you doin? That might be the difference.

Quoting Fields456:

Work from home is so hard. That is what i currently do with my 1 year old home I think when I went To my office everyday it was much easier although it sure is nice to not have to pay daycare

Quoting acrogodess:

I hit it's equally difficult. I've been both. I've also been a work from home mom. That was actually the hardest.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momof2almost
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
And it starts.
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM
I've never been a sahm so I don't know if they have it harder or not. I just know that I'm always exhausted, I do most of the cleaning and all the cooking. I have my kids fed and ready before I leave, I pack their lunches, and help with the homework. I take time off to go to do appointments and parent teacher conferences. Lastly, I plan our vacations and try to have fun time with them on my two days per week off. I'm in no way saying that I have it harder though because like I said, I don't know what it's like to be a sahm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Why does it matter? Can anyone answer that?

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I wish we as women would stop tearing each other down. I'm a working mom, I work full time and I have a full load in post-grad school. I couldn't be a SAHM because it would drive me batty not having adult conversation during the day. If a SAHM can deal with that, more power to her. Is it harder? No. Why? Because this is how I choose to live my life. Is her life harder? To me? Yes. Because she doesn't have adult interaction during the day. When I was out of work I was busier than I ever was when I worked outside the home because stuff just became part of my day - more responsibilities at the kids' school, cleaning, job searching, volunteering... whatever it was my days were filled. Is my situation harder than hers? Yes because on top of doing my paid work and my school work, I have to take care of my house as well. But really, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, just a really good routine.

Get over yourselves. It's equally hard in either situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)