Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm sorry but...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I do not think that athletes should be considered "heros' yes they have talent. But getting (over)paid millions of dollars to chase a ball around doesn't make someone special in my book.

I am tutoring my 14 yr old newphew. He had to write a report on a hero and asked me what athlete he should pick. I asked him why he wanted an athlete and he said "I don't know... thats who everyone says heros are" my heart broke a little bit. We did a lot of research and made some decisions and he wrote his paper about a local man who volunteers at the churchs and helps out elderly people in town. I was so proud. He was the only kid in his class who didn't write his paper on an athlete, and the only one who got a 100%.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Replies (11-15):
ecerka
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM
You are awesome for making him look at all the heroes that are out there!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohmybaby
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Wow, that's ignorant.   Perhaps it's all about perspective.  Imagine being a poor kid in a poor neighborhood.  Now imagine one of those kids excels in a sport that takes him to the big leagues, fame and fortune.  I bet his childhood friends and all the kids still in that poor neighborhood think of him as a hero. 

A hero doesn't have to be someone who volunteers his time, his money, or saves someone life.  A hero can be just someone who doesn't succumb to drugs and lives his life in an admirable way especially when the odds are against him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I totally agree that athletes are not heroes! Seriously!! They have 'athletic ability' OH YAY!! Good for them! I have the ability to have children--does that mean I am a "hero?" HELL NO!! I'm so glad you convinced him to write about a REAL Hero!

I just read a story about 3 inmates who were out on a work detail right here in Washington State (where I live). The 3 inmates were not in prison for violent crimes. Anyway, they were working not far from a river. They heard kids yelling. They thought the kids were having fun! Then they noticed the boys' heads bobbing up and down in the water! Their canoe had overturned, and they didn't have life jackets on! The 3 inmates jumped into the river and saved all 3 boys' lives!! Then they went back to their work detail! The guard could have easily shot at them thinking they were trying to escape! Thankfully, the guard did not shoot at them. Let me tell you--it is very cold here in Washington right now! I know the water in that river is very cold as well! Those 3 inmates are heroes in my book!

singlemom1208
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I think that's great what you did!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mattiehatter
by Mary on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I think the ones who came from adversity and use their knowledge and status to pay it forward could be considered as heros.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)