Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently I'm not enough of a parent to make enough a decision about tough love...

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM
  • 58 Replies

For past year or so,my 16 year old nephew has been giving my brother and sister-in-law a really hard time. He skips school,makes bad grades,smokes pot,has a really smart mouth and bad attitude and twice this year he has had to go to the hospital for near alcohol posioning.

Well,this year my nephew snuck off during Thanksgiving dinner to smoke pot in his room.Of course,he got caught and my brother and sister-in-law said that they 'talked to him until they were blue in the face'.

Well,my mom and I were talking about how they (his parents) just didn't know what to do with her anymore and I said that if it was my child,I would take away every freedom he had,I would take the door off his room, I would take everything out of his room except his bed and clothes, I would buy him a see-through backpack that I would search everyday,I would make him submit to a search everyday,I would make him turn out his pockets,pants,sleeves,etc.I would go to school with him,send a note to all his teachers letting them know the situation and ask for daily progress reports on him, I would take him to school and drop him off,he would not go anywhere except home and school,I would sit right on top of him and watch him do every bit of his homework,I would even have a homework journal where I would ask his teachers to write his homework assignments and sign off on it.He would have no priviledges,no cellphone,no computer,zip, nada,zilch. I mean,obviously talking is not getting through this kid's thick skull. It's time to get tough with him.

Well,when I said this,my mom got offended and said that I hadn't been a parent long enough to say what I would or wouldn't do (my son is a year old) and she said that my punishment would be way too harsh.

I disagree.I don't think that you need to be a parent a certain length of time to say what you would do in a certain situation,nor do I think my punishment would be too harsh.Nothing is getting through to this kid,talking is obviously not working. And if he can't make good decisions about his life,then I would be making his decisions for him.

What do you all think?Is my punishment too harsh?What would you do?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM
4 moms liked this

I would do EXACTLY what you described

harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM

i have no idea what i would do, to be honest. 

hisgirl616
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM
This!

Quoting Sassy762:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElizabethGracie
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!I knew I wasn't crazy,haha.

Quoting Sassy762:

diegosmom828
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I would do that... I like the see thru backpack idea LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emiller3321
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I would do the samething.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I would do the same and I have been a parent for almost 12 years so.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I would drop my kid off at juvie and let him get a taste of criminal life.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I would also make him strip down to his undies for the search.......you have no idea how creative teens can get when hiding something

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Thank you!I knew I wasn't crazy,haha.

Quoting Sassy762:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Sounds like a great plan to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN