Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Ignoring Abuse

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: If you are in a store and see what appears to be child abuse, what do you do?

Options:

Ignore it - Not your business.

Call PD - Better safe than sorry.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

In another post, it has been strongly suggested to ignore what appears to be child abuse simply because its not your child and you don't know the situation.  Do you agree with this?

And don't suggest any other options for the poll... this is my poll conduct your own if you want it to be different.  = )

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I probably wouldn't wait for the cops. I'd end it myself if I really thought it was abuse.
Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I would call 911. I have reported abuse before. I work as an EMT and have to, if I see something.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DarkSoloKnight8
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I would look into it as much as possible and if it is abuse CPS would be at they door asap.
harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Call the police
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM
It depends on the circumstance.
areyouatroll
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would interfere and call police.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Depends on what you are calling abuse. A mom yelling/slapping her kid? No I'm not calling the cops. 

LovingSAHMommy
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Report it. I could never witness a child being abused and do nothing about it.

laird6372
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I am in SHOCK that right now the poll says 26% of people would ignore child abuse because it's none of their business. What the hell is wrong with you people?! You see a child being abused and you do nothing because it doesn't affect you? No wonder so many children are abused for years--people aren't willing to stand up for them! It's disgusting! If someone saw someone else (your SO, a family member, a friend, a babysitter, etc) abusing YOUR child, would you not be pissed and out for blood if it went unreported, simply because it didn't affect the life of the person who witnessed it? "It's not my business. Who cares if that child is abused and neglected. It's not my kid." Seriously?

marinesfeeding babyteen girltoddler boytoddler girl
Proud momma of 4 kids, three of my own and one who didn't grow in my belly but has taken over my heart!

Oceana09
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Honestly, if it's going on in a store, I don't know the full story. I wanted to call the police on someone a few weeks ago because there was a 2 year old behind us in a stroller with a broken arm and a broken leg and bruises everywhere. Looked like child abuse to me. I also know the father who was standing right behind her and he's an abusive ass to his women, so it made sense. I was telling my friend about it and come to find out that little girl was in a car accident with her mother a few weeks prior. I would have felt like an idiot had I called the police. Not only that, but I'm just curious, if you think abuse is going on just by something you see in a store, how exactly are you going to send police to their home? Follow them around the store until they leave and then follow them home? I just don't get it. Assuming abuse and actually seeing it and having proof of it are two totally different things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured