Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I dont want my sons to be a a**hole"

Posted by   + Show Post
This was my S/os exact words.

I plan on putting the boys in multiple classes ( hip hop dance class..because well its the most boy dance class and come kn, when they are older girls will love that they can dance ;) hahaha!)
A class for a musical instrument (of their choice)
A self defense class ( judo/boxing/tikwondo etc)
& a min. of one sport (again their choice)

My reason being to keep them busy. All of these will be good outlets & a way to form friendships...plus if they make it on a school team they are less likely to be bullied & will have to keep good grades . I plan on the self defense for three reasons..1 they will know legally they can not put their hands on another person as well as if they really took to it they would avoid most bad doings (drugs..underage drinking..because lets gace it you can talk until your blue in the face and some kids will still try ..key word some!) ...2. Most kids wont want to start a fight with them because they know they had some training..& 3 should a kid go after them if need be they can defend themselves.

& no i will not force my boys to stay in this programs etc if they are miserable in them they can drop them.

S/o thinks only a#%holes/douchebags do those things and that i will be turning them into that, i said im doing whats best for them... Yours guys thoughts?( this should be fun ).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Replies (21-26):
ninjakids
by Christina on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Thats another thing id love him to learn, chess. I seen a documentary/study on tv that kids who learn chess dont struggle with math.

Quoting ccnstanczak:

martial arts teach self discipline and respect as well. ive heard some dojos insist on their students to do well in school and listen to parents do well at home.

all the above things  you chose are great. im a huuuuuge supporter of extra curricular activities. sports, music and dance,  chess clubs... whatever!!

ninjakids
by Christina on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Sadly scouts ( girl and boys ) are dying out where we live :(i do plan when hes older trying to get him in cub scouts but not sure if itll be around by the time he is of age.

Quoting Allissa:

I think you should encourage him to try anything and everything he's interested in at least once. I have my daughter in Girl Scouts. She gets so excited when it's time to go to a meeting! She also played T-ball once 3 years ago. She didn't care too much for it. At least she went in and tried her best. Tried putting my son in T- ball this past summer. It didn't work out that well. Recently, I inherited my Grandpa's guitar and my DD is showing an interest in it. Ofcoarse I'll let her try!

ninjakids
by Christina on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
For his age they have a combined class, they say it offers a mix of everything but they focused more on ballet, he wasnt really interested in it when i took him and wouldnt do the activites so we decided to wait until the specific classes started

Quoting tntmomof2:

Awww that's good. Nurture those things. He will turn out to be a well rounded child.  Why can't he start dance until 5? Is it all dance classes that have that age limit or just hip hop. Maybe start with tap. Ds started dancing in a ballet/tap combo class at 2 1/2. He now does ballet, tap, lyrical, contemporary, jazz, ballroom, hip hop, and breakdancing. 

Quoting ninjakids:

So far ds has really shown interest in drums (mind you hes only three so just making noise keeps him happy haha ) & hockey. His step-grandfather ( we just call him papa ) was a boxer and they are always play punching, he cant start dance until 5 and he seems closed off with it if i tell him to dance with me he just giggles and stands there ( hes shy ) so im hoping it will break him out of his shell a little bit..and for exactly like you said to be a little charmer hahaa

Quoting tntmomof2:

My ds (11) is in dance, currently in boot camp training for his black belt, plays the sax, and has tried baseball, soccer, basketball, swimming, and gymnastics. 

Best thing I could have ever done for him. He's a ladies charmer, very sociable, intelligent (music is great for that), and can kick someone's ass if needed but has been taught in MMA how to control the situation first. 

mary841108
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM

we do scouts and baseball and thats it. i dont want to be running or even have them running constantly. they need a breather and down time too

Allissa
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
If it is still around where you live by the time he's of age, he'll have to be in 1st grade. Never dealt with the Boy Scouts before, so all I can suggest for that is to look it up.

Quoting ninjakids:

Sadly scouts ( girl and boys ) are dying out where we live :(i do plan when hes older trying to get him in cub scouts but not sure if itll be around by the time he is of age.

Quoting Allissa:

I think you should encourage him to try anything and everything he's interested in at least once. I have my daughter in Girl Scouts. She gets so excited when it's time to go to a meeting! She also played T-ball once 3 years ago. She didn't care too much for it. At least she went in and tried her best. Tried putting my son in T- ball this past summer. It didn't work out that well. Recently, I inherited my Grandpa's guitar and my DD is showing an interest in it. Ofcoarse I'll let her try!

mantyangel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think there is nothing wrong with giving it a try.  The teacher for self-defence is very important (karate kid movie ran through my head lol), but your sons will ultimately decide whether they want anything to do with that stuff.  My son is 13 and wants nothing to do with any of that stuff and that's ok.  Never has.  5 yrs old and he couldn't be talked into any of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN