Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does it bother you when people post photos of your kids without asking?

Posted by   + Show Post

Posting Photos of People's Kids on Facebook Without Asking Is Rude

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on December 11, 2012

cute kidQuestion: Does it bother you when people post photos of your kids on Facebook -- without asking? You know the drill. You're sitting there, minding your business, you log on to Facebook, and you see that little red notification flag at the top left hand corner of your screen. "Oh great," you think. "Someone tagged a super-unflattering photo of me." But then you realize it's a pic of your kid. Do you get kind of pissed?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this scenario. I'm a big believer in asking someone if you can put their photo online, and, to me, people's kids fall under the blanket of "you." I know, I know. No one is posting a photo of your child online to be a jerk -- they're doing it to be sweet, actually. But, I don't know, there's just something a little weird-feeling about logging into a massive social network and seeing that a photo of your child has been posted sans a heads-up.

But the thing is -- I didn't realize this was a potential social media faux pas until I had a kid of my own.

I'm not the world's most active Facebook user, but every once in a while, I'll post a few photos from a holiday or a barbecue to Facebook. And if there happened to be a particularly cute photo of a little one who was in attendance, I'd include the photo into the group, not thinking this would maybe be annoying to the parents. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just didn't realize. My bad. Sorry, parents.

Look -- is seeing a photo of your baby on Facebook the end of the world? No. Of course it isn't. But I do think it's worth an ask before adding a pic of someone's kid. It may be silly to you, but, in my opinion, it's the polite thing to do.

Does it bother you when people post photos of your kids without asking?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Replies (421-430):
freedommoments
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I don't mind if people post my kids pic as long as it is a group shot and my child is not named in the description or tag. I would feel bad telling someone that they couldn't post a pic that had their child in it because my kid was also in it.
There is just no way with family, friends or parents at school who take pictures of events that I can control everything that gets posted. This might be a different situation if I had custody or safety issues with someone.

I have my account set to approve any thing people tag me in so I can control what my name is associated with and also only set folders with my kids pics to friends only.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
julesbouge
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as it is a tasteful picture, I don't mind.  In fact, I like to see the pictures other people have taken of my kids. 

Mudbrat
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I agree they should not being posting pics of anyone elses kids but their own.  I don't care if the pic is cute or not, it's not their kid.  You as their parent have theright to protect them & with all the sickos out there, who knows whos friends with the other people on your list that your not aware of!

melisawoosley
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I will only post pics of *My family's kids *My niece (husband's family) *My daughter's best friend when she's with my daughter, only because we have mutual permission.

Nicki1995
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Yes! My husband's half sister put the pic that my husband sent her on facebook without asking or telling. It really made me angry especially since she has NOTHING to do with my child. The only people on my husbands side of the family that counts me as family are his mom, uncle, and cousin! He has a BIG family too...They count my daughter as family when they dont even see her

Bjr33
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
YES!!!! I do not facebook and I feel it is an invasion of privacy for domeone to post pics that you wouldn't put online in the first place. One of my sisters announced my pregnancy on facebook after we told her we were waiting until after the first trimester to tell anyone except family! I felt very violated and made her remove the post as soon as I found out she did it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Sheila
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The only person that posts pictures of our son other than my husband is his mother and we don't mind because she was the one who took the photos and she's a relative. It's her first biological grandson, so she's very proud. If anyone else we know were to do it without asking I think I would be upset.

MamaFLgurl
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I met a lady for a play date from our local play group. She took pictures of the kids. I didn't think anything about it. Later that night she posted the pictures on her FB, but didn't tag me in the ones my son was in. It bugged me. I almost said something about taking them down, then she tagged me.  I don't mind as long as the other person is on my FB and I'm tagged in the pictures.

bbyslynn
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

my profile is private and all of my photos are set to private...for me it depends on who the child is. If it is my nephew then yah I will toss it on Facebook and tag my brother etc but if it is a friend of my child's then no. Anybody that puts a photo of my kids up, I simply ask them to make sure their settings are private so only their friends can see the pictures. 

Deryni28
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I actually had a big issue with this. My baby sitter (who was a "friend") started posting pictures of my son on her facebook and never did ask. She also didn't tag me in them. So I started tagging myself in them and the she got the hint. After that she and I had a bit of a falling out and I asked her to take down my son's photos b/c she had decided to not be my friend anymore. She told me to F off and then proceded to block me from her facebook to where I can even look her up. So now there are pictures of my son floating around facebook that I can't take back.

So yes... it does bother me. If you are going to post pics of my child at least tag me but be polite and ask first if you aren't family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)