Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for moms who used an midwife and/or had their baby at home

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
Ok, I have a few questions

If I have a home birth, what happens afterwards? How does SS and Birth certificate stuff work?

My currant doctor is my gynecologist, so if I decide I want have my baby at home with a midwife, how do I explain that to my doctor later? Or for my follow up care? My mom thinks I should talk to the midwife and still continue dual care for a while, what do I tell my doctor after I've had the baby? I can't tell her "hospitals are for sick people, me and my baby are healthy, so I'm having her at home" and I can't tell her "I was waiting til my contractions were closer before going to the hospital and I waited too long and had the baby at home."

I have a list of questions to ask the midwives in my area, but I feel like I've forgotten some, can you give me some thatiI may have forgotten or that you just recommend?

Is there anything that you wish someone had told you about using a midwife at home or going to a midwife owned birthing center?

I can't find answers to my questions online, so people with experience are the only way I'm going to get answers. Having my baby with a midwife, either at home or at a midwife owned birthing center is what I believe is best, but I'm having issues with the logistics of it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Your midwife will be able to provide the forms. If not, they are available online to be printed out and sent in.

You tell your doctor you are having a home birth and will continue care after the baby is born. You could ask him/her to be your back up, but many won't do that unfortunately. You don't need follow up care with your OB. Your midwife will come to you the day after, a few days after, and at 6 weeks for your check up and pap smear.

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM
The midwife has the proper forms that you need. I had two of my babies out of the hospital at a freestanding birth center. The midwife filed everything for us.

You simply tell your doctor that you have decided to have a home birth. Simple. I always see a doctor/midwife in the hospital for the first half of pregnancy and then switch. It has never been a problem. All follow up care will be provided by the midwife, so no worries there :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I had a midwife but had my son at a birthing center adjacent to the hospital so I have no idea how to legal stuff works. I have always wondered that myself actually. I would just tell your doctor the truth about your plans and how you feel. If she can't respect that then switch to a different doctor. In California a midwife has to provide care under a doctor. If there were any complications during the pregnancy or labor the doctor would handle it. He would look at everyone's file in the midwife clinic once a week and the midwives knew when a referal to the doctor was needed.

tansyflower
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM

this is true.  almost NO ob will be okay with dual care because then they have to take on the liability of your home birth which is out of the question.  the only midwifes that practice with/under an ob work within the hospital.

your midwife will make you a birth certificate and send in all the info to the state so you can get a formal bc and ssn,

my midwife can order all bloodwork/untrasounds and did the follow up appt and the baby wellcheck/hearing evaluation at 6 weeks as well.  so really, there is no need for an ob unless something is wrong and you risk out.  then you transfer care to an ob.

you dont have to tell your ob anything about why you choose a homebirth.  keep it simple and say you did an assisted homebirth and if she wants records transfered to let you know.  its none of her business WHY you had a homebirth.  so dont make it an issue and she wont either.

i loved both my home water births.  i was able to rest when i wanted, i wasnt hooked up to beeping moniters and iv's or had people waking me up 5 times a night to check on me, i could snack if i felt like it, i could wear the clothes (or not wear anything) that i wanted to, i could birth IN the water in whatever position i wanted too instead of being forced to birth on my back, i got to delay cord clamping and was able to put my baby to my breast within a minute of his birth, my baby never left my side, i was able to keep my placenta with no issues, in fact my midwife was so awesome that after my last birth (which i did at her home) she made my husband a beautiful dinner and we all ate together celebrating our new child :)

she was an amazing woman who respected me as a patient and as a friend, looking back the only thing i would have refused was getting vaginal exams because they are totally unnessicary.  luckily the second time around i had the experience to know better and she had no issues leaving me be and letting me trust my body and do it on my own!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Your midwife will be able to provide the forms. If not, they are available online to be printed out and sent in.

You tell your doctor you are having a home birth and will continue care after the baby is born. You could ask him/her to be your back up, but many won't do that unfortunately. You don't need follow up care with your OB. Your midwife will come to you the day after, a few days after, and at 6 weeks for your check up and pap smear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I had a home birth you can ask me any questions you need.. with the ss and birth cert you do the same way as you do a hosptial birth..  as with your doctor if you choice to see them after the baby just tell them you had it at home..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN