Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

appropriate gift or not?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My oldest child is 10. His class decided to do a Secret Santa this year. My son got a girl he didn't know. Now the kids are not supposed to tell, but the teacher told the kids to ask all the kids what they like for Christmas so they had some idea in case someone didnt know the kid they picked. So when my son got a turn to speak with this girl, she was sort of snotty about it. He asked her what she liked. She said I dont know. He said do you like Pokemon? She said no I hate them. He said do you like barbie? She said no I hate them. He said what do you like? She said I dont know. He came home and said I GIVE UP YOU PICK!

The amount you could spend was only $5. So at the store, I found a small $3 mini snowglobe with a christmas tree inside of it, and a bag with a christmas tree for 80 cents. So that is what I got her. Now I am a little concerned about, what if it breaks and cuts her? I dunno if I got the right thing!

Yay or nay, and if nay what should I get her?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

it sounds like she likes him...   idk.   if i were a 10 year old girl i would love the snow globe - is it a music player too.   my son also just loves those.   why not.   the trendy idea is good but what if you get the wrong sunglasses or accessory that was sooo very yesterday.    if she hates it - have him ready to explain - he would have got her what she wanted if she just would have told him something ...  and she might learn from it.   who cares.  you tried.   as long as your son is cool with the gift.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I think it's fine!

My 10yo daughter would have had a 45 minute discussion about Pokemon, in which no one else would have been able to get a word in. ;)

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It's tough when you don't know the girl. My daughter would love it, but I think lots of girls wouldn't.  It is not an innappropriate gift at all, but I would think about some thing a little more widely liked, maybe some candy??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The little girl was being a brat. I think the snow globe is just fine. Those saying lip gloss...well my 10 yr. old daughter would not be allowed to wear it.

godsgirl26
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Op buy that little girl some clear lip gloss or something girly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goodygumdrops
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I actually like the snow globe idea.  I definitely wouldn't go with any type of make up, even lip gloss.  Because you don't know how her parents would feel about it.  I've known many who are very against the idea of any make-up at that age for their little girl.  

indymom72
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I agree with these ladies..I would go for some lip gloss or something girly...

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. That gift would be quite a let down.
Go for the lip gloss, cheap jewelry, fun route.

Quoting Anonymous:

if you were a ten yr old girl would you want a snow globe.

i wouldnt.

i would have gotten her some cheap jewlery like earings or sunglasses or something. they always have things on sale at vanity for under $5. like sunglasses and things.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Sounds fine to me. Its a neutral gift. If she wanted something more specific, she should have been more helpful.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM
The snow globe is appropriate for a ten year old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Same here!

Quoting Anonymous:

The little girl was being a brat. I think the snow globe is just fine. Those saying lip gloss...well my 10 yr. old daughter would not be allowed to wear it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN