Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Quinoa? (No, I'm not speaking Spanish)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Quinoa contains all 9 of the essential amino acids that are crucial to human function and health.
It is considered the perfect protein.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028989_quinoa_protein.html#ixzz2En3KPKFB

Quinoa (pronounced keh-NO-ah or, sometimes, KEEN-wah) is a relative newcomer to the American pantry. The tiny, ancient Peruvian seed, which has a mild, nutty flavor, is related to leafy green vegetables and is often used like a grain. Quinoa is as versatile as rice but it has a protein content that is superior to that of most grains, because it contains all the essential amino acids. In particular, quinoa is high in lysine, an amino acid important for tissue growth and repair. It�s also a good source of manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and copper, and it has a high iron content.

Quinoa is very easy to cook. It�s important to rinse the seeds well, because they are naturally coated with a bitter substance that protects them against birds and other predators. Most packaged quinoa has already been cleaned, but it doesn�t hurt to soak and rinse it just in case. Quinoa cooks in 15 minutes, and it�s easy to tell when it�s done because the seeds display a little white thread that curls around them.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/quinoa/

I found this stuff at Costco and made it this past weekend.  I added some sauteed veggies with a splash of lemon juice, and it was GREAT!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I'm one of the few people who know where it is in my store lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM
I can't stand the stuff. You really have to pretend it is good so you can get it down. Anyone who says it is good is a robot
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM
I love it. I hate rice so this is an awesome healthier substitute
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
If you make it right with butter and spices even maybe some soya sauce its delicious. If its plain its not that great but same with anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't stand the stuff. You really have to pretend it is good so you can get it down. Anyone who says it is good is a robot

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I'm not a fan of it but my son eats it up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Yeah so you're saying if you make it unhealthy by buttering it up lmao

Quoting Retrokitty:

If you make it right with butter and spices even maybe some soya sauce its delicious. If its plain its not that great but same with anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/healthy-quinoa-recipes/

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa, (see Note)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed (10 ounces)
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup drained and diced jarred roasted red peppers, (3 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, preferably toasted (see Cooking Tip)
Directions
1. Toast quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes aromatic and begins to crackle, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the quinoa and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook gently for 8 minutes. Remove the lid and, without disturbing the quinoa, add edamame. Cover and continue to cook until the edamame and quinoa are tender, 7 to 8 minutes longer. Drain any remaining water, if necessary.
3. Whisk lemon zest and juice, oil, tarragon and salt in a large bowl. Add peppers and the quinoa mixture. Toss to combine. Divide among 4 plates and top with walnuts.
Tips:
Note: Quinoa is a delicately flavored grain that was a staple in the ancient Incas' diet. It is available in most natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets. Toasting the grain before cooking enhances its flavor and rinsing removes any residue of saponin, quinoa's natural, bitter protective covering.

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM
We love quinoa at my house. I was just talking about it in another post.
illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Maybe you are cooking it wrong? It has a nice texture and goes well with most dishes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I make cheesy quinoa bites :)

Quinoa salad is amazing, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN