Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Quinoa? (No, I'm not speaking Spanish)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Quinoa contains all 9 of the essential amino acids that are crucial to human function and health.
It is considered the perfect protein.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028989_quinoa_protein.html#ixzz2En3KPKFB

Quinoa (pronounced keh-NO-ah or, sometimes, KEEN-wah) is a relative newcomer to the American pantry. The tiny, ancient Peruvian seed, which has a mild, nutty flavor, is related to leafy green vegetables and is often used like a grain. Quinoa is as versatile as rice but it has a protein content that is superior to that of most grains, because it contains all the essential amino acids. In particular, quinoa is high in lysine, an amino acid important for tissue growth and repair. It�s also a good source of manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and copper, and it has a high iron content.

Quinoa is very easy to cook. It�s important to rinse the seeds well, because they are naturally coated with a bitter substance that protects them against birds and other predators. Most packaged quinoa has already been cleaned, but it doesn�t hurt to soak and rinse it just in case. Quinoa cooks in 15 minutes, and it�s easy to tell when it�s done because the seeds display a little white thread that curls around them.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/quinoa/

I found this stuff at Costco and made it this past weekend.  I added some sauteed veggies with a splash of lemon juice, and it was GREAT!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
ItsJustKell
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

We like it at my house too.  My daughter is a natural vegetarian, so I give it to her for some extra protein. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Lmao yes there is. Butter is awful for you

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah so you're saying if you make it unhealthy by buttering it up lmao

Quoting Retrokitty:

If you make it right with butter and spices even maybe some soya sauce its delicious. If its plain its not that great but same with anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't stand the stuff. You really have to pretend it is good so you can get it down. Anyone who says it is good is a robot

There is nothing wrong with small amounts of real butter. 

Nee86
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I added some to a stew I'm making. Dh didn't like it but I don't want to just toss it so I sneak it where I can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I like it. I rinse it under running water for about 2 minutes, boil for ten minutes and steam it for an additional ten minutes. It gets nice and fluffy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I said it makes my butt itch.

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Oh man,  that sounds awesome :D Do you have a good recipe for this?

Quoting Shermy:

We don't eat much meat and often use quinoa in exchange for it (so quinoa stuffed peppers instead of meat stuffed bell peppers).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

This site is good:

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I use quinoa in place of breadcrumbs in meatloaf. I also use quinoa flour to make cookies. It is good.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't stand the stuff. You really have to pretend it is good so you can get it down. Anyone who says it is good is a robot

Maybe you aren't cooking it right or perhaps you just have different taste.

Groove
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I'm vegan but i can't stand the texture of quinoa. I have a huge texture thing and can't handle anything like mushy/soft things. I really want to like it bc i know how good it is, but i can't. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)