Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMFG!! Disability befits for ADHD?? *ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister qualifies for disability income because she is ADHD.

I, personally, think it's a load of bull. Seriously? She's getting $700 for her and $350 for each dependent per month.

What is your opinion on this?

*edited with the correct amounts.

**ETA: my sister it's not disabled by her ADHD. It doesn't keep her from being able to work or live a 'normal' life. It doesn't hinder her in any way.

She brought up an old childhood diagnosis (she hadn't mentioned ADHD in over 10 years) and applied it to every job loss and bad decision she's made. She applied for $ so she wouldn't have to work. She wants to sit back and live easily, while others pay her bills.

I don't think it's right that she is getting money that she doesn't need, while others are being denied, though they truly are disabled.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Mmmkay
momwith2monkeys
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

yea you can get disability for adhd but it is hard. My neice get it for adhd but when i applied for my son who also has ADHD, ODD and mood disorder we were denied, but i am going to reapply.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

My son keeps getting denied. He's severe ADHD, PDD-NOS (high functioning autistic), has sensory motor issues and issues with his fine motor skillsm, asthmatic, has allergies and is pre-diabetic. *sighs* I cannot even hold down a full time job with all his multiple appointments and he will always need to be cared for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Uh? Where do I sign up? That's more than I make at my part time job haha
illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM
4 moms liked this

My fully functioning neighbor with a masters degree gets disability because she claims to hear voices doesn't want to work. She couldn't find work in her field and suddenly she was disabled.

I think my butt itches. I better go file for benefits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM
You're right! Sorry.

I couldn't remember the exact amount she told me. I thought it was $898 & I rounded up. Her dependents get a check for half of what she gets.

Quoting Anonymous:

Troll , max for 2012 is $698 , max in 2013 will be $710. My son is on disability and I just spent three hours of my day there straightening out missing files and information they needed.

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM
3 moms liked this
I think i have adhd, where

Oh a puppy *chases after puppy*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dfournier0922
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM
That's silly. But as I side note I did look into when my son was diagnosised. He has a therapist he has to see weekly, speech therapy weekly, neuroscience appts, pedis appts. Working and getting him to his appts is getting really hard. He misses a lot because of it. I feel bad. If she has appts like that then I can understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sister, but now she wants her daughter "checked" because she could get more money for her being disabled, too.

Quoting dfournier0922:

Who has the ADHD? A kid or your sister

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

My brother got it as a child. It can be really bad at time, I had it myself as a child but grew out of it. It can be hard, I remember wanting to get up and move around a lot as a child, which was distracting to other children so I got in trouble a lot. I couldn't imagine having it as an adult and it being so disruptive. So, I feel it's legit for some, I don't understand how she is getting additional money for her dependents though.

vabchmom21165
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! Must be nice to get that much! My sister got turned down and she has mental health issues and she had a freaking heart attack! WTF?! Your sister gets it for ADHD....something not right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)