Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMFG!! Disability befits for ADHD?? *ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister qualifies for disability income because she is ADHD.

I, personally, think it's a load of bull. Seriously? She's getting $700 for her and $350 for each dependent per month.

What is your opinion on this?

*edited with the correct amounts.

**ETA: my sister it's not disabled by her ADHD. It doesn't keep her from being able to work or live a 'normal' life. It doesn't hinder her in any way.

She brought up an old childhood diagnosis (she hadn't mentioned ADHD in over 10 years) and applied it to every job loss and bad decision she's made. She applied for $ so she wouldn't have to work. She wants to sit back and live easily, while others pay her bills.

I don't think it's right that she is getting money that she doesn't need, while others are being denied, though they truly are disabled.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
dsebastian23
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

My neice gets it she has a severe case of ADHD and ODD. She will never be able to live on her own or have a job.

ShellGardner
I take adderall meaning I'm ADHD so where do I sign up I could quit my job and stay home with the kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vrbtnseele
Really? Thats why i get 748?

Quoting Anonymous:

Troll , max for 2012 is $698 , max in 2013 will be $710. My son is on disability and I just spent three hours of my day there straightening out missing files and information they needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It depends on the severity of her ADHD. Since I am not a psychiatrist, I can't tell you for sure whether or not she can safely work.

But I can tell you this: I stopped driving in 1994, when I realized that my own ADHD made me a huge hazard to other drivers. Two thousand pounds of steel under my control when I could get distracted by something as simple as a squirrel running across a telephone wire across the street...no thank you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
That is ridiculous. I'm sorry perfectly healthy people are being approved while you get denied. Our government is so fucked up.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son keeps getting denied. He's severe ADHD, PDD-NOS (high functioning autistic), has sensory motor issues and issues with his fine motor skillsm, asthmatic, has allergies and is pre-diabetic. *sighs* I cannot even hold down a full time job with all his multiple appointments and he will always need to be cared for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I have adhd for real.. and I can't hold down a job.... It's probably just another excuse for some people... But It is a real problem for me... I have never applied for disability but have thought about it because it is hard to make all our ends meet.... But we chug forward... maybe one day I might really need it... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
2 moms liked this
How is this a disability? I've had ADHD my whole life. I take meds and work. No wonder our economy is in shambles. The govt gives money away left and right for no reason.
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Girl my butt itches all the time in that case.....

Quoting illinoismommy83:

My fully functioning neighbor with a masters degree gets disability because she claims to hear voices doesn't want to work. She couldn't find work in her field and suddenly she was disabled.

I think my butt itches. I better go file for benefits.

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Shit....I wonder what I could get for my borderline personality disorder and social anxiety.....lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I think it sucks. I have been fighting for disability for years. I have 5 ruptured disks in my neck and sever arthritis in my neck and between my shoulder blades. My Drs say that within the next year I will lose all mobility in my neck. I am also Bipolar, but did not want to be put on disability because of that. You know their response to me is.... et hospitalized for the bipolar and then reapply.

That is not even why I need the disability. My bipolar is managed with medication and therapy. My neck can NOT be fixed or improved so that I can work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN