Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMFG!! Disability befits for ADHD?? *ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister qualifies for disability income because she is ADHD.

I, personally, think it's a load of bull. Seriously? She's getting $700 for her and $350 for each dependent per month.

What is your opinion on this?

*edited with the correct amounts.

**ETA: my sister it's not disabled by her ADHD. It doesn't keep her from being able to work or live a 'normal' life. It doesn't hinder her in any way.

She brought up an old childhood diagnosis (she hadn't mentioned ADHD in over 10 years) and applied it to every job loss and bad decision she's made. She applied for $ so she wouldn't have to work. She wants to sit back and live easily, while others pay her bills.

I don't think it's right that she is getting money that she doesn't need, while others are being denied, though they truly are disabled.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

And yet, people with Scoliosis and Lupus can't get it...

I_Love_Pooh1999
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Wow!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM
She is perfectly fine. FOR HER, it isn't a disability, but an excuse not to work.

Quoting Sanctimommy:

It depends on the severity of her ADHD. Since I am not a psychiatrist, I can't tell you for sure whether or not she can safely work.

But I can tell you this: I stopped driving in 1994, when I realized that my own ADHD made me a huge hazard to other drivers. Two thousand pounds of steel under my control when I could get distracted by something as simple as a squirrel running across a telephone wire across the street...no thank you!

momwith2monkeys
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

i have the same issue with my son. He has adhd, ODD, and  mood disorder possibly bi-polar. the only reason why i am able to work now is because my husband is unemployed. both of us can't work the same shift because of doctor appointment, all of the calls from the school, suspensions, meeting with the school. when my husband was working that is what i spent most of my time doing.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son keeps getting denied. He's severe ADHD, PDD-NOS (high functioning autistic), has sensory motor issues and issues with his fine motor skillsm, asthmatic, has allergies and is pre-diabetic. *sighs* I cannot even hold down a full time job with all his multiple appointments and he will always need to be cared for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you kidding me??  I have an incurable skin disease (EHK - look it up) and it took me 2 years and a friggin lawyer to get my SSD benefits..your sister gets it for ADHD???????? 

No wonder this country is screwed up......

IslandBreeze
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Might be why my neighbor is "staying home" these days..... Her kid has adhd. 

lalaboosh
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I'll build an earthship community for him, k? He can live there and it will be awesome. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

My son keeps getting denied. He's severe ADHD, PDD-NOS (high functioning autistic), has sensory motor issues and issues with his fine motor skillsm, asthmatic, has allergies and is pre-diabetic. *sighs* I cannot even hold down a full time job with all his multiple appointments and he will always need to be cared for.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Thats a load of crap. I will just pretend that I have it and get money to sit around on my butt all day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Shit I'mma be ADHD like the rest of them... Where do I sign up?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM
She has to be lying about what her issues are.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured