Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Come in here and confess! *POLL

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it difficult for you to take advice and be educated by someone who is younger than yourself?

Options:

No, I can learn and take advice graciously regardless of age.

Yes, I find it off putting when a younger person tries to "enlighten" me.

Other. Theres always another option.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

Are you "off put" by someone who is younger than you, trying to give you advice, or who tries to "educate" you?

Even if say, this younger person is very knowledgeable about a certain subject that you are not, is it off putting to have someone younger trying to teach you something or give you advice?

Say an 18yo is trying to educate you on childbirth, etc as she is very knowledgeable and has been through it, etc. Is it hard for you to accept that she knows what she is talking about just because she is young?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Love060708kids
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't mind getting advice from people if I'm asking for advice.

Age doesn't matter to me, I tend to look at things from different perspectives.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I know that everyone has been through different experiences and can often offer a different insight that can be helpful.

Thats why I hate it when people say "I have way more kids then you, so obvioiusly I know more." That doesn't mean I haven't been through something totally different that has helped me come up with a different perspective, or a solution you might not have thought of.

MissMommy_x2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

It depends on the situation. Sometimes, I'm like 'yeah, whatever, kid!' and others, they really are knowledgeable. But I'm also that way with older people too. There are ignorant assholes, and then there are lovely women who truly want to help you. So i guess age doesn't really determine it, it's their attitude. But its easier to ignore what a younger person is saying than an older one. :)

FL2AK
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I honestly cannot imagine what I would need to learn from an 18 year old. I have a child around the same age. If I need information or want to learn something I seek it from experts. What would an 18 year old be an expert at?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM
No not at all I think the youth has a lot to offer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, a 18 year old is almost half my age. I don't feel I have anything to learn from a kid straight out if high school.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Me either and I have 7 kids, lol

Makes you  go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Quoting FL2AK:

I honestly cannot imagine what I would need to learn from an 18 year old. I have a child around the same age. If I need information or want to learn something I seek it from experts. What would an 18 year old be an expert at?

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Well when I was 18 I was a pharm tech, so I am sure I knew more about that subject than many others, including the ones who were older than me.

Quoting FL2AK:

FL2AK
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM
In most states it doesn't take much to be a pharmacy tech. I go to the pharmacist not the tech when I need information.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Well when I was 18 I was a pharm tech, so I am sure I knew more about that subject than many others, including the ones who were older than me.

Quoting FL2AK:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

nope. the first parenting advice I took was from my younger sister.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)