Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Come in here and confess! *POLL

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it difficult for you to take advice and be educated by someone who is younger than yourself?

Options:

No, I can learn and take advice graciously regardless of age.

Yes, I find it off putting when a younger person tries to "enlighten" me.

Other. Theres always another option.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

Are you "off put" by someone who is younger than you, trying to give you advice, or who tries to "educate" you?

Even if say, this younger person is very knowledgeable about a certain subject that you are not, is it off putting to have someone younger trying to teach you something or give you advice?

Say an 18yo is trying to educate you on childbirth, etc as she is very knowledgeable and has been through it, etc. Is it hard for you to accept that she knows what she is talking about just because she is young?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

We can't be knowledgable about everything. If I wanted to know how to build a computer I would ask my younger brother, who taught me how to do it (though I'm not very good at it) he is younger than me, but I'm sure he could do a better job than I would. Keep your mind open, you might learn something.

Quoting FL2AK:

I am not talking about other people, I answered the question for myself. Great that other adults thought to ask you for help, but I wouldn't because I would not need to.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Legally, I wouldn't be allowed to give you advice, only factual information.  And what I am saying is though I may have only been 18, there are many people who I knew more than they did when it came to things like medication, and answered many questions for a lot of people on a daily basis.

Quoting FL2AK:

The question was asked specifically if we would seek advice from an 18 year old. I would not. I am 37, very educated and seek information from experts if I need it. I am fully aware of who my local pharmacist is versus the tech. Being an 18 year old pharmacy tech is great, but still not someone I would seek advice from.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

That's not the point. And the majority of the time when you go pick up your meds you speak with pharm techs, not the pharmacist. That's not the point though, the point is that even at 18 I had a subject where I knew, and could give advice about, more than others did. 

And it depends on what you go for. Some do associate degrees for it. I did a 4 hour a night, 3 nights a week, for 4 months class. Both are given the same exam. The only difference is with the class I take, there is less time to prepare, so you need to have the time and motivation out side of class to educate yourself.

Quoting FL2AK:

In most states it doesn't take much to be a pharmacy tech. I go to the pharmacist not the tech when I need information.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Well when I was 18 I was a pharm tech, so I am sure I knew more about that subject than many others, including the ones who were older than me.

Quoting FL2AK:

I honestly cannot imagine what I would need to learn from an 18 year old. I have a child around the same age. If I need information or want to learn something I seek it from experts. What would an 18 year old be an expert at?

FL2AK
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM
Lol. I am older and have learned plenty already.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

We can't be knowledgable about everything. If I wanted to know how to build a computer I would ask my younger brother, who taught me how to do it (though I'm not very good at it) he is younger than me, but I'm sure he could do a better job than I would. Keep your mind open, you might learn something.

Quoting FL2AK:

I am not talking about other people, I answered the question for myself. Great that other adults thought to ask you for help, but I wouldn't because I would not need to.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Legally, I wouldn't be allowed to give you advice, only factual information.  And what I am saying is though I may have only been 18, there are many people who I knew more than they did when it came to things like medication, and answered many questions for a lot of people on a daily basis.

Quoting FL2AK:

The question was asked specifically if we would seek advice from an 18 year old. I would not. I am 37, very educated and seek information from experts if I need it. I am fully aware of who my local pharmacist is versus the tech. Being an 18 year old pharmacy tech is great, but still not someone I would seek advice from.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

That's not the point. And the majority of the time when you go pick up your meds you speak with pharm techs, not the pharmacist. That's not the point though, the point is that even at 18 I had a subject where I knew, and could give advice about, more than others did. 

And it depends on what you go for. Some do associate degrees for it. I did a 4 hour a night, 3 nights a week, for 4 months class. Both are given the same exam. The only difference is with the class I take, there is less time to prepare, so you need to have the time and motivation out side of class to educate yourself.

Quoting FL2AK:

In most states it doesn't take much to be a pharmacy tech. I go to the pharmacist not the tech when I need information.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Well when I was 18 I was a pharm tech, so I am sure I knew more about that subject than many others, including the ones who were older than me.

Quoting FL2AK:

I honestly cannot imagine what I would need to learn from an 18 year old. I have a child around the same age. If I need information or want to learn something I seek it from experts. What would an 18 year old be an expert at?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sophiesister2
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Good for you! Seriously! I love when people assume you're lying here...what reason do you have to lie to people on the internet..theres no reason to do that so i believe you. The only people i dnt believe are the obvious trolls and people who post bragging about how amazing their life is. I especially love when its an anon accusing you of lying lol. Whatever

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Well you have to get experience somewhere. And a lot of the exam is actually math, dilution, and IV mixing (which is partial math). And no, it was more than just "remembering".  If you don't comprehend it, you won't pass it. A portion of the test is the top 200 drugs, their generics, their makeup, their main use, and the alternative uses possible. You need to know which medications Can't be mixed. Which sounds simple, but there are tons of medications. Too many to remember just the names of the meds that don't mix, you need to know why. That isn't something you just remember, you actually need to comprehend the information behind the answer. 

And when I said you wouldn't know how long I had been in school I was speaking hypothetically. As in if you came into the pharmacy and I was the one assisting you. Or if I were the one mixing your IV in the hospital. 

Here is an example of the question "what could an 18 year old know more about that I do?" Obviously, I know more about the passing of exams when becoming a pharm tech.

Quoting Anonymous:

Neither.  I would want someone with life experience.  A written exam means zero in the real world.  All that means is you are readily able to read, remember and regurgitate.  That is one of the biggest problems with our education system today, students are force fed information just to parrot it back in a short amount of time, it lacks any real form of experience or life education.  So no, I don't want anyone who was able to pass a test in four short months in charge of my health care.  I know how long you were in school because you said four months, do you remember?  Because if you can't even remember telling me that moments ago, then heck no to trusting you as my knowledgeable pharm tech.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

When you apply to be a pharm tech, it is your exam score that matters. And you wouldn't have any idea how long  I had been in school. All pharm techs in the state get the same exam.  I passed it easily with a high score. So obviously I knew what I was doing. Seeing as how you get the same exam, would you rather me, with a higher score but less time in school, help you OR someone who was in school longer but barely passed their exam?

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, well I don't have cancer, and I just visit a regular run of the mill pharmacy, but I guarantee you if you only have 4 months of education for pharm tech, you wouldn't be helping me.  I'm also sure you were not the most knowledgeable at 18, including those who were older than you as you have said.  Any pharm tech programs I've ever seen has been a 12 month course for a simple degree.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Nope, it was a 4 month course, though you can get an associates in it. And as for the experience, the class I was in did internships, which probably helped me with getting a job. And pharm techs don't answer any type of questions about complex medical problems. The pharm techs who work in cancer divisions may, I don't know haven't worked in any type of situation like that, but it also requires more schooling to work with cancer patients. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but I doubt it.  Phar tech is typically a 12 mos course, with an additional practicum of on the job work experience.  And I highly doubt a technician just barely out of school would have the experience to be able to answer my questions on your feet, or the questions of any other patients with complex medical conditions without a few years of experience at least.  No, I don't believe you.  

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Thanks :) I hated pharm tech, but I was pretty proud of getting it done and having a job that was a little more than fast food. Nothing wrong with working in fast food, I did, but obviously the satisfaction is much higher in a job that you went to school for. 

Quoting sophiesister2:

Good for you! Seriously! I love when people assume you're lying here...what reason do you have to lie to people on the internet..theres no reason to do that so i believe you. The only people i dnt believe are the obvious trolls and people who post bragging about how amazing their life is. I especially love when its an anon accusing you of lying lol. Whatever

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Not at all

ncohetero
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:18 AM
Age doesn't mean anything to me. All I care about is the advice. And if the person has solid facts behind what they r saying even if it was personal experience then I'm fine with it. I like learning new things and hearing multiple views on a subject
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivysMama
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I listen to everyone. Whether I choose to follow the advice depends entirely on what's best for my life, but I think that you can learn from just about anyone.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM

It really depends on the situation and the topic. I get more irritated about parenting advice from people who are childless, especially those who are childless by choice. Or advice on something like voting. I have a Master's Degree in Public Administration. The last thing I need is advice on how I should vote r how to read a piece of legislation.

LadyBug1990
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:46 AM
If you're so intelligent then you should know that there are 12 months in a year and pregnancy usually lasts 42 weeks at most. I was 18 when I got pregnant and 18 when I gave birth to my daughter. Ever think maybe you made the poor life choice? Because that schooling (I'm assuming) you went to, obviously didn't help you in the math department.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids are stupid. That's why they're kids. If an 18 yr old is giving advice on childbirth, that means she was knocked up at 17 and knows little of contraception. I highly doubt she will be going on to a university education for a few years now that she has an infant, if she even managed to graduate hs. How knowledgeable can she be? Seems like a poor life choice at an early age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN