Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Come in here and confess! *POLL

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it difficult for you to take advice and be educated by someone who is younger than yourself?

Options:

No, I can learn and take advice graciously regardless of age.

Yes, I find it off putting when a younger person tries to "enlighten" me.

Other. Theres always another option.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

Are you "off put" by someone who is younger than you, trying to give you advice, or who tries to "educate" you?

Even if say, this younger person is very knowledgeable about a certain subject that you are not, is it off putting to have someone younger trying to teach you something or give you advice?

Say an 18yo is trying to educate you on childbirth, etc as she is very knowledgeable and has been through it, etc. Is it hard for you to accept that she knows what she is talking about just because she is young?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Replies (31-40):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I have no issues with it, but their approach does have a great deal to do with how I take it.

SOCO101
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Age doesn't matter to me, but "know-it-alls" aggravate the hell outta me. 

mama_of_tw0
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Age doesn't matter. I just hate when people do it when I clearly never asked or showed any interest in knowing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragdoll13
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:54 AM

it depends very greatly.    If I know the person is a j*ck*ss, it wouldnt matter if they graduated from harvard at 5.  It wouldn't even matter if they were 100 and had seen and done it all.  

if the person speaks/types with intelligence, I'll listen

LadyBug1990
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:18 AM
You shouldn't be generalizing that all kids are stupid. Everyone has their own story, and everyone has a few things they could have done differently in their lives. I'm sure you did at least one dumb thing as a teenager but it didn't make you completely stupid.

I grew up in a home without swearing, so being called "stupid" would be offensive. I guess it still is. I'm sorry I was being a smartypants.

P.S. I actually was very good in math.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, I understand that smartypants.  It still does not change a thing written below.  I didn't believe I would need to explain the math of the situation in 5 short sentences for someone to understand the point, but apparently I did.....shame.  I will be more clear next time so that you may grasp the concept of what is written, rather than needing to nit pick an obscure detail to try to disprove a point.  See any grammar errors you would care to point out as well?  that also does a lot to prove your comprehension.  I'm glad you passed math :)

Quoting LadyBug1990:

If you're so intelligent then you should know that there are 12 months in a year and pregnancy usually lasts 42 weeks at most. I was 18 when I got pregnant and 18 when I gave birth to my daughter. Ever think maybe you made the poor life choice? Because that schooling (I'm assuming) you went to, obviously didn't help you in the math department.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids are stupid. That's why they're kids. If an 18 yr old is giving advice on childbirth, that means she was knocked up at 17 and knows little of contraception. I highly doubt she will be going on to a university education for a few years now that she has an infant, if she even managed to graduate hs. How knowledgeable can she be? Seems like a poor life choice at an early age.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilbit04
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:42 AM
There are a lot of people that didnt know that. I did t find out until freshmen year of college and in only found out because I'm studying to become a pharmacist. I was surprised about how much I learned of what people really don't know. Some 18 yr olds like to educate themselves in the process. However right now I wouldn't take advice from an 18 yr old as I have already done this 4 times and I think by now I should have it down.

Quoting Anonymous:

See?  I surely wouldn't be taking contraception or childbirth advice from you, I'm sorry.  I'm sure you're a very bright girl, and good for you for continuing your education so you would achieve something for your child, but antibiotics and bc are pretty much a no brainer.  So...

Quoting lilbit04:

I beg to differ with that I was 18 when I gave birth, graduated top of my class. I graduated June of 04 and had him November of 04, went to college in August with the rest of my classmates. I ended up being home bound after I had him due to the type of delivery and what happened during it. However I did go back full term spring semester. I went all 4 yrs of college with an infant. It really depends what kind of drive you have and how determined you are to get things done. For me the condom broke and although I was on bc at the time, I had no clue that antibiotics could affect it. I don't regret it at all, love my son more than anything and he gave me the drive I needed to finish school and now I'm going back to continue learning more and I have 4 kids now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids are stupid. That's why they're kids. If an 18 yr old is giving advice on childbirth, that means she was knocked up at 17 and knows little of contraception. I highly doubt she will be going on to a university education for a few years now that she has an infant, if she even managed to graduate hs. How knowledgeable can she be? Seems like a poor life choice at an early age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBug1990
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:54 AM
I know what you mean. Not many people are responsible and mature at 18. I was lucky that my parents taught us responsibility early and that actions have consequences. My husband was raised the same way.

I have a hard time taking advice from people younger than me also. It depends on their maturity level and their lifestyle.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol, yes, the first line was facetious. It's actually a quote from the Simpson's to show you how intellectual that remark really is. And I did very well in school, as I'm sure you did. And I have made many mistakes in life, the majority of them because I was young and thought I knew it all. When I was 20 I had no idea I'd be where I was at 25, and at 25 I had no idea I'd be where I was when I was 30, etc. But having gained some experience I look back at these mistakes and see what a know it all arrogant idiot I actually was in my youth. And the same will happen for you. "I was young and I was stupid", everyone is. So no, I have a very difficult time taking advice from any young person. I would not take childbirth advice from an 18yr old. I would not take patenting advice from an 18 yr old. (along with early 20s) I would not tell you it's a mistake to have a child at 18, legally you would be an adult, but still I don't always see it as the most responsible choice unless at 18 you are both financially and emotionally stable enough to care for that child. It is rare to fund someone who would be at that age. Kwim?

Quoting LadyBug1990:

You shouldn't be generalizing that all kids are stupid. Everyone has their own story, and everyone has a few things they could have done differently in their lives. I'm sure you did at least one dumb thing as a teenager but it didn't make you completely stupid.

I grew up in a home without swearing, so being called "stupid" would be offensive. I guess it still is. I'm sorry I was being a smartypants.

P.S. I actually was very good in math.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, I understand that smartypants.  It still does not change a thing written below.  I didn't believe I would need to explain the math of the situation in 5 short sentences for someone to understand the point, but apparently I did.....shame.  I will be more clear next time so that you may grasp the concept of what is written, rather than needing to nit pick an obscure detail to try to disprove a point.  See any grammar errors you would care to point out as well?  that also does a lot to prove your comprehension.  I'm glad you passed math :)

Quoting LadyBug1990:

If you're so intelligent then you should know that there are 12 months in a year and pregnancy usually lasts 42 weeks at most. I was 18 when I got pregnant and 18 when I gave birth to my daughter. Ever think maybe you made the poor life choice? Because that schooling (I'm assuming) you went to, obviously didn't help you in the math department.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM

It is hard for me, being a mother to 7 an army wife and having gone through what I have, I feel most cannot give me anything i do not already know. Though i do listen and either say thanks or let it roll off.

tarakay0417
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:43 AM
No it doesn't bother me. I know there are people younger than me that are more knowledgeable in some areas than me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Loving the honesty!

I gave the 18yo scenario as an EXAMPLE. The question remains OVERALL.

What if a 20yo was a pro at breastfeeding and trying to educate you and help you while you were having trouble in your own breastfeeding venture? Would you be turned off simply by their age assuming that you can't possibly learn valuable information from a "kid".

Stuff like that is what I am talking about. It is interesting to see the dynamic here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured