Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need free legal advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I posted here on saturday about calling the cops on my bf for domestic violence, they also.found cocaine on him. He was out of jail in less than 24hrs. Anyways, the emergency restraining order is gonna expire this friday. So, what's gonna happen after that? Is he gonna have a court hearing? And when? Are they gonna contact me and let me know? I also want to protect my daughter in case he's gonna be an ass and try to get custody.
I've been wanting to know what charges were pressed against him, called the DA's office on monday and left a message and haven't gotten a call back since.
I called next door solutions for domestic violence, they just gave me numbers to call. So I called this law alliance who asked about everything that happened only to call me back and say they couldn't help me and referred me to pro bono. So I called and they said that it's not an actual case. Wth? I just wanted advice. I just want to be prepared for whatever that might happen.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ragdoll13
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:04 AM

See if your state has a Legal Aid Society or lawyer refferal program.   Most states do.  They can get you free or low cost lawyers.  

ragdoll13
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Oh, also don't bother with the DA.  Your local magistrate will be able to talk to you, as most of them have 24 hour offices (they're the poeple who handle jail/emergency law issues, not the DA)

EDIT****  sorry, a lot to add, I'm tired and scatter brained tonight.   90% of local courthouses have the forms you need to file your own paperwork with clerks.  also, the clerks can be of help.  Yes they are not lawyers, but they do see and handle the law everyday and they will be able to tell you what papers to fill out and processes you have to do to keep the protective order up

Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:09 AM
You should have been notified that he was having a bond hearing... unless he bonded out before he went before the judge. He'll receive a notice to appear in court to answer these charges.. in the meantime, you file a permanent restraining order which will not be a problem considering the nature of his crime.

There is no way, btw, he would ever be granted custody with a dv and drug charge... unless you have a criminal history to match his.

Hope this helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Because the police dept gave me this number to call to find out about the charges that were pressed on him. This lady who answered transfered my call to the DA but just went to voicemail. I left a message then called again.but no luck.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Quoting ragdoll13:

Oh, also don't bother with the DA.  Your local magistrate will be able to talk to you, as most of them have 24 hour offices (they're the poeple who handle jail/emergency law issues, not the DA)

EDIT****  sorry, a lot to add, I'm tired and scatter brained tonight.   90% of local courthouses have the forms you need to file your own paperwork with clerks.  also, the clerks can be of help.  Yes they are not lawyers, but they do see and handle the law everyday and they will be able to tell you what papers to fill out and processes you have to do to keep the protective order up

AmyD43
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:32 AM
You need to go to the court and file for a perment restraining order. It will be good for a year, after a year you can file for a forever one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:35 AM
I don't know about the permanent restraining order. I'm just dying to know if there's something he wants to tell me. If he's sorry. I want to find out if he realized what he did or if he doesn't care and still being an ass. So I know what I'm gonna do.

Thanks.

Quoting Nolanzo:

You should have been notified that he was having a bond hearing... unless he bonded out before he went before the judge. He'll receive a notice to appear in court to answer these charges.. in the meantime, you file a permanent restraining order which will not be a problem considering the nature of his crime.

There is no way, btw, he would ever be granted custody with a dv and drug charge... unless you have a criminal history to match his.

Hope this helps.

ragdoll13
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Yeah the DA doesn't handle day to day sort of things.  He/she puts on the show in the courtroom, does public speaches, and handles tough cases like large drug busts.    The magistrates file charges on the spot (that is why most of their offices are located at county/city jails) and act as a judges liason for prisoners.  Most people don't know about what all a magistrate can do.  But they're who you go to if you need to file charges or don't know if something is charge/complaint worthy, or how to go about it.   

I hope they can help you!!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Because the police dept gave me this number to call to find out about the charges that were pressed on him. This lady who answered transfered my call to the DA but just went to voicemail. I left a message then called again.but no luck.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Quoting ragdoll13:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN