Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My confession about my kids...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I'm terrified of my kids becoming unhealthy or obese. My kids are perfect weights now and are preschool/grade school. I feel our diet could be improved but my husband and kids are very picky eaters. What are good books that have meat and potatoe type dishes with veggies incorporated but isnt obvious. And what healthy meals do you all go to? I want to reduce processed foods too. I really wanna try to make our diet better. I'm the only one in my family that is overweight and while I'm slowing losing weight already by reducing caloric intake and increasing activity I still want our diets to be more healthy all around. Any recipes or book suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM

bump....

crystalplus1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

sheperds pie is a good one. Meat veggies and potato.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

how do you make it?

Quoting crystalplus1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

you mix about a lb of meat, like pork or beef, or my hubby likes to use both, a few cans of mixed veggies, or a bag frozen veggies, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, or cream of celery, You put it in a casserole dish and top it with mashed potatoes, if you cook the frozen veggies first it take about 30 miin to heat up in a 350 degree oven. And i like to put cheese on top.

Quoting Anonymous:

how do you make it?

Quoting crystalplus1:

loveTHEviking
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Oh my goodness! That sounds so good! I make shepards pie & we've never used the soup but I might just have to try that :)!!

Quoting Anonymous:

you mix about a lb of meat, like pork or beef, or my hubby likes to use both, a few cans of mixed veggies, or a bag frozen veggies, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, or cream of celery, You put it in a casserole dish and top it with mashed potatoes, if you cook the frozen veggies first it take about 30 miin to heat up in a 350 degree oven. And i like to put cheese on top.

Quoting Anonymous:

how do you make it?

Quoting crystalplus1:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigOlBitties
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I use vegetarian meat crumbles as a meet substitute in a LOT of dishes. We rarely eat and meat, and don't eat red meat at all.

The first few times, I didn't tell SO about it because I wanted to see the reaction/if he noticed. He didn't, and now he prefers vegetarian meats for health reasons.

We do veggie burgers at least once a week, chili Mac, tacos, quesadillas, pasta, casseroles, all with vegetarian substitutes for meat. The way they can flavor stuff now, you don't lose out on taste when you cut out meat.

Also, I used to pack tons of veggies into pasta sauces and stuff.. that's a good way to get the nutrition in there and people don't even notice they're eating veggies. Fortunately my boys love veggies so I just cook them as sides every night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Yeah i like the soup better than the gravy. I know one person who uses tomato soup. Its a very easy dish to play around with. My hubby is a meat and potato man and I'm always looking for ways to add more veggies to his diet. Darn picky men.

Quoting loveTHEviking:

Oh my goodness! That sounds so good! I make shepards pie & we've never used the soup but I might just have to try that :)!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

how do you make it?

Quoting crystalplus1:

loveTHEviking
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Sounds like my hubby & our 5yo lol. Meat & tater men lol. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah i like the soup better than the gravy. I know one person who uses tomato soup. Its a very easy dish to play around with. My hubby is a meat and potato man and I'm always looking for ways to add more veggies to his diet. Darn picky men.

Quoting loveTHEviking:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

how do you make it?

Quoting crystalplus1:

loveTHEviking
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM
My kids love veggies too :)!

Quoting TigOlBitties:

I use vegetarian meat crumbles as a meet substitute in a LOT of dishes. We rarely eat and meat, and don't eat red meat at all.

The first few times, I didn't tell SO about it because I wanted to see the reaction/if he noticed. He didn't, and now he prefers vegetarian meats for health reasons.

We do veggie burgers at least once a week, chili Mac, tacos, quesadillas, pasta, casseroles, all with vegetarian substitutes for meat. The way they can flavor stuff now, you don't lose out on taste when you cut out meat.

Also, I used to pack tons of veggies into pasta sauces and stuff.. that's a good way to get the nutrition in there and people don't even notice they're eating veggies. Fortunately my boys love veggies so I just cook them as sides every night.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Anything you cook at home is healthier than eating out/processed food.

Get a crockpot recipe book - making a roast with meat, potatoes, and veggies and letting it cook all day in a cup or so of wine and some water will smell AMAZING, taste fantastic, and be healthy.

I buy garden pastas. They have powdered veggies in them and are only a little more expensive than regular pastas.

And for kids, keep healthy snacks easily available - carrot sticks, apple slices, celery with peanut butter, raisins, nuts, air popped popcorn - and stay away from chips and fake fruit snacks and the like. If they are picky, you may have to experiment some to find what they like, but the majority of kids will get over their pickiness when they get hungry enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)