Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you tell a toddler Santa is not real because Mommy is broke??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 170 Replies
1 mom liked this

This year has been extremely difficult.  If it can happen, it pretty much has.  As much as it hurts me to admit I need help to give my kids Christmas, I really do.  I am not asking anyone on this site to help me, I am just sharing my story really.  I cant be the only one going through this and really just want to not feel so alone. 

Before you start bashing, yes my husband works, no we are not on welfare, our toddler cannot go to daycare due to a medical condition so I cannot work out of the home.  I try to work from our home but apparantly I am not good at finding out how to do it and get paid as I have worked for about 9 weeks for a company and no money has come my way yet... but that is an entirely different topic. Prior to this medical condition we had no worries financially. Now, we have no home phone, no cell phones, no car insurance, no up to date tags on the car and I have final notices for electric and water.  Things have gotten bad.  My husband makes decent money, but medical expenses have caused a mountain of issues.  

So, I reached out about a month ago and a Christmas Angel answered my need.  However, my "Christmas angel" has come on hard times and told us yesterday that they cannot help us now.  Humbled by their desire to help, saddened I might not have Christmas for my kids... Not sure really what to do. 

I have been knitting a blanket to give to my toddler, and she will appreciate it but I am affraid she is going to think that she was a "bad girl" and that is why Santa did not come.  My Husband thinks we should just tell the kids that Santa is not real and tell them whats going on... I cant bring myself to do that.    My oldest will be sad but will understand, I think, but not my youngest. 

I am torn. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariyahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Donate plasma, or scrape up 5$ and go to dollar tree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this
How about changing Christmas up a bit this year?

.make it a year of giving back. Donating time.. maybe old toys. Focus on the giving.

Best wishes!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Why tell them at all?

If your child is that disabled, you need to apply for disability on their behalf.

ria7
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this

Go to a church and explain your situation. See if their are any local charities that donate. Our fire department does a shop with a child and lets the child pic a few things. I agree also with going to a dollar store, you can get playdough, water colors, a doll. You may be able to find a nice toy at a goodwill or a consignment shop for just a few dollrs. Maybe your older child can help you make wrapping paper for the younger child. Older child could get nail polish and fuzzy socks or something cheap (assuming girl). Sorry you are going thru this!! You may have ot explain to the kids that you didn't have the $ to pay santa so he couldn't bring alot. IDK just an idea. 

ria7
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

ALso as hard as it is I think if you are upbeat then the kids will be ok. Try to find things you can do together, play games, string popcorn garland, dnce to silly music, make cookies etc. See if you can get food from a local food pantry so you have a couple extra dollars for gifts. 

Ireallydontcare
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Why perpetuate the lie?

o0gone0o
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You scrape up a couple of bucks and go to the dollar tree. My kids will have a very small christmas for the reason that our van has decided now is a great time to die, so savings that we had had to go to a new vehicle. Used beat up sure but new to us.

Just suck it up and do your best. Also apply for disability for your child with the medical issues, you will most likely be denied the first time, we are in the process of  appealing for my oldest. Takes forever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM
We are also going to have it hard but I am going to the dollar tree and spend 10 at least she will have something inder the tree .its not the price its the thought
AndrewsMommy01
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Where do you live? How old are your kids? And have you tried Wish Upon A Hero? It is a great site I can give you the link if you need it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Im sorry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)