Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My four year old daughter almost died

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
A month ago my daughter had a little cough. Nothing too concerning. On a Thursday morning we brought her to the pediatrician because the night before she cried about her ears hurting. The doctor found that she had severely infected ears. She had never showed signs of her ears hurting before that. We got on antibiotics. By Friday night I noticed her breathing was a bit rapid and mildly labored. I suspected pneumonia so Saturday morning I went to work and hubby took her back to the doctor. He said ears were really bad and changed antibiotics. My husband told him I was concerned about her breathing. He listened to her and said she sounded fine. I went home early from work as she started running a high fever that afternoon and vomited everything including motrin and tylenol. We made the decision to take her to the hospital late that afternoon. In the ER they did a chest Xray and discovered she had right lower lobe consolidated pneumonia. They admitted us to the pediatric floor immediately for iv fluids and iv antibiotics-- clindamycin (since she was allergic to standard treatment of rocephin) and azithromycin. By the next morning her breathing was more labored and she needed oxygen. They said the newest Xray showed pneumonia in the left and right bases and her right lower lobe had collapsed and the space was filled with fluid. By the next day she was running 104 fever and getting progressively worse to the point they had to put an oxygen mask on her and move us to a hospital in another city for a higher level of care. As soon as we got to the new hospital they gave her iv vancomycin. By this point she was really struggling to breath and was retracting and grunting with each breath. Vancomycin was adjusted based on lab results with each dose until she was receiving a dose higher than adult dose. We received the news that she had strep pnemoniae growing in her blood cultures and it is highly drug resistant. The only drugs to treat it were vancomycin and levaquin which is not approved for children due to long-term effects on the muscles and joints. So everything was riding on this one drug to work. She had some improvement after a week and a half, but an ultrasound showed pus sacs had developed under her right lung where the pleural fluid was. So then they had to do surgery on her lung and clean out the infectious material. She was left with a chest tube for three days after that. She continued to run high fevers for over a week (as high as 104.8). We finally broke the fever and took her home Sunday. She lost five pounds and looks skeletal. She has a hard time walking as she has lost her muscle mass. Her beautiful long blonde curly locks are in a knotted mass on the back of her head and I can't comb it out. But, thank God she survived and is still here with us. My job now is trying to fatten her up and build up her strength again. She had never really been sick prior to this. I never thought this could happen to us. Be sure to get your children vaccinated for pneumonia.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
do11face
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Omg, so scary!

I'm so happy she is getting better. Poor baby. :(

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

how scary. my grandmother died from pnuemonia last month. it was a LOT like what you went through, but she refused surgery :( and oxygen, and put in a DNR. everyone was shocked cause it happened so fast. Im so glad that she got better and you got to take her home. Make sure you have an AWESOME xmas (or whatever you celebrate)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

So glad she is alright.  I didn't know there was a pneumonia vaccine?

For her hair:  Try massage olive oil into it, put a shower cap on her head so it doesn't get on everything.  After an hour, gently brush it down with your fingers.  As you run into tighter knots, don't brush them down, massage the oil into them and massage downwards.  The knots should slip out.

To wash:  Use Dawn dishsoap and warm water.  Then wash again with regular shampoo.  It may take a couple of times, but olive oil is actually good for hair.  No conditioner should be needed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Thanks for the air tip!

Quoting Anonymous:

So glad she is alright.  I didn't know there was a pneumonia vaccine?

For her hair:  Try massage olive oil into it, put a shower cap on her head so it doesn't get on everything.  After an hour, gently brush it down with your fingers.  As you run into tighter knots, don't brush them down, massage the oil into them and massage downwards.  The knots should slip out.

To wash:  Use Dawn dishsoap and warm water.  Then wash again with regular shampoo.  It may take a couple of times, but olive oil is actually good for hair.  No conditioner should be needed.

stepconfused182
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Oh my gosh this breaks my heart! I am so sorry you had to go through this! I am glad shes better and recovering. God bless you all.

LilynAustin
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

My mom got bacterial pnuemonia when I was in High School, and she almost died.  It was SO scary.  The doctor was telling my dad that he needed to start preparing for her death.  We had like 5 foster kids at the time too.  Thankfully she recovered, but it took a long time.

I am so glad your daughter is healing.  I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that.  I will definitely look into the vaccine and see if that is something we should do.  I am still on the fence about the flu vaccine.  But, considering my oldest is in Kindergarten and I have an almost 4 month old I may vaccinate the older two.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
Austin 2/28/07  Lily 2/21/08  Aubrey 4/30/10 

friendlymom5
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I'm glad she is doing better. I recently had 2 partially collapsed lungs and I felt liike death. I can't imagine what she must have went through! Hugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

so sorry you both had to go thru this...try Moroccan Argan oil in her hair, you wont have to wash it out

rawrmommysaurus
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I am so glad to hear that she is doing better!  Make her some extra cookies and feed her lots of sausages and bacon and eggs!  

Starryeyez_01
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Omg thats a nightmare! :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)