Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Would you marry/have kids with a gamer?

Options:

Yes

Never!

I did, and I love it

I did, and I wish I hadn't

Baked mac and cheese

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 222

View Results

Seriously...if you are married to a man who spends hours a day on games, why?  It just seems like such an insanely immature and stupid way to be neglectful of your family.  This is based on what I'm hearing from women who are with gamers.  Sure many of them manage to hold on to their jobs, but they seem to have a hard time doing things like pulling their weight at home and watching their own damn children. 

My hubs works a lot, he's in the reserves and he's earning his masters.  Those are things I'll pick up the slack for.  He even enjoys games, but I noticed once we had kids he basically stopped playing them or he only plays the games that he can easily put down and pick back up later.  His time for "fun stuff" is few and far between.  If he was too tired to help around the house or with our kids because his ass had been up for hours playing video games I would lose my mind. 

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (151-159):
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM

My husband and I are both gamers. We played a lot before we had kids, alone, and together on some games, and we still managed to make time for each other, and we didn't neglect other important things. Now that we have kids, we play much less often, but we still enjoy playing for a couple hours on the weekends while the kids are napping or in bed. 

Photobucket
mariesmama
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

i did i love d&d killing skeletons and dragons is so fun i miss it my hubby usually does better caring for our 3 yr old than i do

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
DH does all the cooking and all the math homework help and cleans up after himself. He has no problem pulling his weight. Ya he'll play a couple hours but he does it while we're watching TV or when were busy or not home or we'll play together. It's no different than having any other hobby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

My husband plays games a lot, just as I am on the computer a lot, but it doesn't take over his life, and interfere with other things. I know there are gamers who are pretty much addicted. My husband does it out of boredom and lack of other things to do, because a lot of times we are just sitting at home being bored.

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I married one... 

who is also going to college, a Sgt in the Army and helps out around the house. He even watches the kid.

However, since he also works up to 14 hours a day.. (depending on what his  Unit is doing) I have no issue with him relaxing by playing his game for a few hours.

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM
My husband plays xbox regularly. He recently is a stay at home dad.
And guess what.....I come home to a clean house, usually dinner and kids behaving. He even does crafts with them. He is able to stop playing when he needs to and still gets our prioritys done.
BUT it has not always been this way.
He was at one point addicted to World of Warcraft. His severe ADHD combined with getting back from a very difficult deployment had him in a pretty bad way. Wow was his escape feveryone and everything. He missed our going away party because his responsibility to his guild raid was more important.
He stopped though, cold turkey during a deployment and has not played since. A friend even tried to get him to play again but he didn't because he know that it will draw him back in.
ShanesMommy2012
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

What's so bad about gamers? I'm a gamer, my SO is a gamer. We're wonderful parents and we love each other very much. Playing games is a HOBBY. We do not neglect our son or each other. My SO works a lot as well. He pays all our bills & our rent. Buys diapers. Buys wipes. Buys everything we need.

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Listening to women talk on here about how their husbands spend every moment of their home time playing video games and they refuse to do anything else or spend any time with their family unless they are also playing games, just enforces our decision not to buy a game system. It's ridiculous, letting your life pass you by and neglecting the actual people in your life to stare at a screen with no result. Video games are fun, my husband plays them at his friends houses sometimes, I get that, but if their life revolves around when they can play a game, somethings wrong. I married a man, not a little boy, he doesn't neglect his life for something as meaningless as a game.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I agree completely. I am grown and need a gown man, not a child playing video games all man day. Luckily, my dh is not a gamer. He works hard is finishing his master's and on his free time he lays on the floor to play with our kids. I wouldn't have  any other way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)