Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Would you marry/have kids with a gamer?

Options:

Yes

Never!

I did, and I love it

I did, and I wish I hadn't

Baked mac and cheese

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 222

View Results

Seriously...if you are married to a man who spends hours a day on games, why?  It just seems like such an insanely immature and stupid way to be neglectful of your family.  This is based on what I'm hearing from women who are with gamers.  Sure many of them manage to hold on to their jobs, but they seem to have a hard time doing things like pulling their weight at home and watching their own damn children. 

My hubs works a lot, he's in the reserves and he's earning his masters.  Those are things I'll pick up the slack for.  He even enjoys games, but I noticed once we had kids he basically stopped playing them or he only plays the games that he can easily put down and pick back up later.  His time for "fun stuff" is few and far between.  If he was too tired to help around the house or with our kids because his ass had been up for hours playing video games I would lose my mind. 

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Yes, I'm also a gamer. We actually met on the game we play. And no my husband has never neglected our son to go play. Not every gamer out there is immature. It's a cheap hobby and one that keeps him home. Why wouldn't I give that my blessing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Love my gamer. We game together. He also games with our kids. He also will make sure I have an entire day for just me every other week. He helps cook dinner, snuggles his newborn, teaches our 3 and 2 year olds about Mario Bros. and goes to bed with me. Wakes up with the kids once a week so I can sleep in and then always makes sure I wake up to my favorite breakfast or lunch. He's an amazing father, husband and gamer.
Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i married him but i don't think its a waste of time.  we all play together. he works nights & on his nights off he needs somethign to do at 2am when we are usually asleep.  

ArmyBratMama921
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Seriously. My husband loves games. Hell, So do I. But he is a DAMN good father. His gaming has nothing to do with his parenting ability. 

boshs1andonly
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

When I buy dh a new toy, he would get caught up in it for a few days and be pretty useless around the house lol. but I expected that, and it never lasted long so I was okay with it, especially since he was helpful the rest of the time. it hasn't happened since we've had dd, but i doubt it will be an issue even if I were to buy him a new toy now. 

VannaMae307
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

there is a difference between "gamers" and "a slob that comes home to play xbox and ignores everything"

I am the gamer in the marriage and it doesn't even involve an xbox, I go to a gaming guild once a week. Big difference between the two descriptions.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Sure. My husband is a responsible gamer. He can and does occasionally spend hours on his xbox but if asked to do something else he will gladly do so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I'm married to a gamer and I am one myself. We play after the kids are in bed. It's together time for us, just like others watch tv together. Dh knows his responsibility is the family, and kids come before games.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

DH is a gamer and I am too. Our children are NOT neglected and play with us. And believe it or not we do take them outside every day too. They read books. They play with toys. None of us are glued to a screen 24/7. Women who refuse to even give gamers a chance are really missing out.

jamieh0987
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I married a non gamer and wouldn't have it any other way! Games are a waste of time that could be spent doing something productive. So unless they are making the game or already make over150 k a year a grown man has no place on them. (my opinion)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)