Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why i think pot should be illegal

Posted by   + Show Post

this was taken from webmd.com. i personally am against smoking weed. its not safer than cigarettes like most think (i dont smoke cigarettes either by the way) and the mental effects are not something i want to deal with when taking care of children.

How Does Marijuana Affect the Brain?

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to the brain and other organs throughout the body.

THC acts upon specific sites in the brain, called cannabinoid receptors, kicking off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the "high" that users experience when they smoke marijuana. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. The highest density of cannabinoid receptors are found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thinking, concentrating, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.1

Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

Research into the effects of long-term cannabis use on the structure of the brain has yielded inconsistent results. It may be that the effects are too subtle for reliable detection by current techniques. A similar challenge arises in studies of the effects of chronic marijuana use on brain function. Brain imaging studies in chronic users tend to show some consistent alterations, but their connection to impaired cognitive functioning is far from clear. This uncertainty may stem from confounding factors such as other drug use, residual drug effects, or withdrawal symptoms in long-term chronic users.

Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite the known harmful effects upon functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent) and among daily users (25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana abusers trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including: irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to remain abstinent. These symptoms begin within about 1 day following abstinence, peak at 2-3 days, and subside within 1 or 2 weeks following drug cessation.3

Marijuana and Mental Health

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses - including addiction - stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. Currently, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders.4 High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

What Other Adverse Effect Does Marijuana Have on Health?

Effects on the Heart

Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.5 This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities.

Effects on the Lungs

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Effects on Daily Life

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement, including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.9 Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Replies (371-380):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Exactly.

The pot heads will use their brains elsewhere.

We'll leave the stupid shit to the non pot smokers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thought so

Quoting Anonymous:

Nah, ill leave it up to the poty, seems to be a skill their proficient at.

Quoting Anonymous:

Try doing that stoned, lets see how good you can do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Look everyone, if you don't smoke pot, you can copy and paste.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Addiction is a problem, if you do it everyday you have a problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

I disagree. When people aren't daily smokers, that's when being high can cause a problem, imo. Their body isn't used to it and they aren't able to function normally. Everyone I know who smokes does it daily. From the Medical Doctors to the designers to the teachers. It's like drinking a glass of wine a day. If you drink a glass of wine daily, then you're probably just fine to go on with your day. If you're like me and don't drink at all, then a glass can finish you for the day. Smoking can be a way to start the day, get your mind and body prepared, and calm your nerves. In my experience, I find that it helps manage A.D.D. and stress related illness.

Quoting Anonymous:

When you do it everyday, just like drinking then it's a problem and a habit. I bet you most of these moms have that problem, I used to, thank God I don't anymore.

Quoting Anonymous:

It surprises me how many people can only associate smoking with hard partying. Everyone I know who smokes does it daily, in their own homes or outside, as a way to relax. Like a glass of wine. That's like saying anyone who drinks a beer is a child and needs to grow out of her sorority girl lifestyle.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's true! I used to ,part everyday, smoking my joints, blunts and bowls and was very lazy. One job I had I was fired because I came in so stoned I couldn't do my job, but that didn't stop me from smoking everyday. I even got to the point of doing harder drugs, didn't work cause I was stoned everyday. What did stop me is when I found out I was pregnant, I completely stopped. I realized it wasn't just unhealthy for my baby, but that I was going to be a mother and needed to act the part living by example for her. I didn't want my child doing the dumb stupid things I did. I haven't touched it since, that was 15 years ago and don't miss it one bit, I grew up and became responsible for the first time in my life. Drugs are stupid, bad for your health, destroy many lives besides the users, make you lazy and stupid and a complete waste of money. I wonder how many moms in this post alone that smoke their weed complain about their financial situations, many I'm sure.

Quoting mary841108:

lol i love this!

Quoting Anonymous:

It amazes me to see how many mothers smoke weed, It seems many have a lot of growing up to do. smh

mary841108
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM

oh but if its ok, then why dont you kids know you do it? if it isnt bad for you, why not let the kids see you lighting up a joint/bowl/ blunt or however you do it?

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Just because its illegal does not make it won't.my kids have no idea I smoke.I'm prescribed anti depressants anti Anxiety pills out the wazoo, I'd much rather get the kids to sleep and smoke a few hits to calm my mind then be doped up barely able to function on xanax and that other crap that's legal but more harmful.

Quoting mary841108:

ummm yeah. way to set a good example for your kids. "ill smoke whether or not the gov't approved" so you would do something illegal because it makes you a better person. i see that logic.

eye rolling

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Okay miss.Mary Poppins! I'll smoke whether it not you approve.I'll smoke whether or not the government approved. It makes me a better person

acaisha
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

you should read up on what caffeine, refined sugars, and household cleaning products do to us...

oh wait.. you haven't been told those are "Wrong" enough times to believe.

Selective awareness... love it.

mary841108
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You knew that all by yourself, where did you go to college?

Quoting mary841108:

yes. thank you. i already knew that. this isn't about alcohol though. i shared my thoughts on that a few pages back though

Quoting Anonymous:

Alcohol is legal and bad for you.

Niagara University.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Whose bashing you? Im not, I just smoke weed, you don't.

You choose not too, and choose too, what is your issue?

Quoting mary841108:

Can the Anons start numbering themselves please? or at least before bashing me have the common courtesy to not use an anon button. At least making this post i used my actual handle.

shawnypooh4
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

My advice to Mary is NOT TO SMOKE. If you really believe this BS then just stay away from it.  I could pull up differnt studies that would put her post to shame but what's the point?  One fact that I will point out or two, is that Marijuana hasn't cost nearly as many lives as tobacco and alcohol, and isn't anywhere close to being as dangerous as the many other drugs available illegal or legally.  That was my soapbox as I get ready to inhale..

mary841108
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

i use vinegar, baking soda and steam when i clean my house.

Quoting acaisha:

you should read up on what caffeine, refined sugars, and household cleaning products do to us...

oh wait.. you haven't been told those are "Wrong" enough times to believe.

Selective awareness... love it.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Quoting mary841108:

Do you make sure your kids see you taking medication? If they did what do you say, "oh this is mommy's medicine and only for mommy because my doctor prescribed it". It is that simple really. I personally am not going to hide it, if my daughter ask it is my medicine and should only be used with a prescription. I don't smoke it though.
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Why don't kids watch adults have sex? Why aren't kids allowed in bars? Why? Because my chill out time is mychill out time. Its my time to meditate and think with no distractions.its time for me to clear my head...that's why..

Quoting mary841108:

oh but if its ok, then why dont you kids know you do it? if it isnt bad for you, why not let the kids see you lighting up a joint/bowl/ blunt or however you do it?

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Just because its illegal does not make it won't.my kids have no idea I smoke.I'm prescribed anti depressants anti Anxiety pills out the wazoo, I'd much rather get the kids to sleep and smoke a few hits to calm my mind then be doped up barely able to function on xanax and that other crap that's legal but more harmful.

Quoting mary841108:

ummm yeah. way to set a good example for your kids. "ill smoke whether or not the gov't approved" so you would do something illegal because it makes you a better person. i see that logic.

eye rolling

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Okay miss.Mary Poppins! I'll smoke whether it not you approve.I'll smoke whether or not the government approved. It makes me a better person

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)