Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why i think pot should be illegal

Posted by   + Show Post

this was taken from webmd.com. i personally am against smoking weed. its not safer than cigarettes like most think (i dont smoke cigarettes either by the way) and the mental effects are not something i want to deal with when taking care of children.

How Does Marijuana Affect the Brain?

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to the brain and other organs throughout the body.

THC acts upon specific sites in the brain, called cannabinoid receptors, kicking off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the "high" that users experience when they smoke marijuana. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. The highest density of cannabinoid receptors are found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thinking, concentrating, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.1

Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

Research into the effects of long-term cannabis use on the structure of the brain has yielded inconsistent results. It may be that the effects are too subtle for reliable detection by current techniques. A similar challenge arises in studies of the effects of chronic marijuana use on brain function. Brain imaging studies in chronic users tend to show some consistent alterations, but their connection to impaired cognitive functioning is far from clear. This uncertainty may stem from confounding factors such as other drug use, residual drug effects, or withdrawal symptoms in long-term chronic users.

Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite the known harmful effects upon functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent) and among daily users (25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana abusers trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including: irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to remain abstinent. These symptoms begin within about 1 day following abstinence, peak at 2-3 days, and subside within 1 or 2 weeks following drug cessation.3

Marijuana and Mental Health

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses - including addiction - stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. Currently, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders.4 High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

What Other Adverse Effect Does Marijuana Have on Health?

Effects on the Heart

Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.5 This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities.

Effects on the Lungs

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Effects on Daily Life

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement, including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.9 Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I smoked pot regularly when I was age 17-18. I stopped cold-turkey because I just didn't want to do it anymore in case I needed to be clean for a job or whatever. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms except maybe the decreased appetite lol. I never tried any other drug and I can say it didn't affect my grades or my motivation in life. I know people who smoke to help their anxiety, depression, pain, etc. Why don't you do some research on how marijuana has helped people medically. Mainstream information cannot be trusted. If you don't want to smoke marijuana, then don't. I don't and haven't in almost 10 years but I would never tell someone else not to do it if they wanted to because really it isn't as bad as most of the shit people do that is legal (like pain pills, alcohol, cigarettes, etc)

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

How about you just not smoke. Let adults make their own decisions. Have you seen how bad cigarettes and cigars are for you?

mary841108
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont need shit that ruins my body to have a good time. actually i am a boring person LOL i dont like going out unless me and dh hit a movie or go out to eat...mainly i like being home with my family. im not one for big crowds, i never drank because my step father was an alcoholic and was a complete douche and my uncle was killed by a drunk driver. i dont like the smell of cigarette and i see smoking weed as being the dumbest thing ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then your a ball of fun then aren't you. You must be a blast to hang out with.

Quoting mary841108:

i dont drink or smoke

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Hmmm... have you compared that with alcohol? Cigarettes?

Both are MUCH worse and legal.

StarryRain
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Lolz!!!!! Do you know the facts behind the legal history of marijuana??

Or is all of your info copy pasted?

Quoting mary841108:

it was illegal in the first place for a reason, it is still a drug and i dont think it should be legal at all. i mean if we make this legal why not meth or herione or crack?

Quoting Liyoness:

So.... Why do you think it should be illegal?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Do you know why it is illegal?  It has nothing to do with the effects of the drug and more to do with industries that would be hurt if the use of the marijuana plant were to be more widely used.  Keeping it illegal protects corporate profits.

http://naturalsociety.com/why-is-marijuana-illegal-examining-the-health-aspects-of-cannabis/

Quoting mary841108:

it was illegal in the first place for a reason, it is still a drug and i dont think it should be legal at all. i mean if we make this legal why not meth or herione or crack?

Quoting Liyoness:

So.... Why do you think it should be illegal?

mary841108

yeah i dont smoke that shit either. ugh cigar smoke...my uncle used to smoke cigars and when we'd go over there when i was a kid i would throw up from the odor.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

How about you just not smoke. Let adults make their own decisions. Have you seen how bad cigarettes and cigars are for you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Have you looked up the side effects of prescription pills, alcohol, tobacco, otc medications, etc?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I dont like marijuana people that say it doesnt make them addicted okay maybe for them but not everyone is the same. Ive seen my brother change into an addict. His life revolves around weed. He cant start his day without it or eat. Ive seen many other friends lose themselves to this drug. And when they run out they become agitated and sometimes violent. They act like crackheads and will give up their bill or rent money just to have it. So the effects arent the same for everyone. My brother is in denial and doesnt think this drug is bad and thinks it should be legalized. But im against it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I drink coffee, eat chocolate, all those are a drug.

I think I should go to rehab.
blues_pagan
1 mom liked this

Well laws should not be based on you bias.

Quoting mary841108:

i dont need shit that ruins my body to have a good time. actually i am a boring person LOL i dont like going out unless me and dh hit a movie or go out to eat...mainly i like being home with my family. im not one for big crowds, i never drank because my step father was an alcoholic and was a complete douche and my uncle was killed by a drunk driver. i dont like the smell of cigarette and i see smoking weed as being the dumbest thing ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then your a ball of fun then aren't you. You must be a blast to hang out with.

Quoting mary841108:

i dont drink or smoke

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Hmmm... have you compared that with alcohol? Cigarettes?

Both are MUCH worse and legal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN