Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

seriously?? what the heck am i supposed to do??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

my son started preK this year and i know everyone says kids get sick a lot in their first year of school, but we are bordering on ridiculous here hanging by a thread! my son is sick every single damn day. EVERY DAY. the doctor's (3 i have seen) say nothing is wrong with him other than different viruses running their course through him, and to keep him hydrated. blah blah blah. every night he has a fever of 101.2 and then a very low grade fever all throughout the day. he feels totally fine during the day, but at night time he complains of "not feeling right" or having a headache, or being tired. the school says he has to be fever free for 24 hours before he can come to school. it seems the only time he ends up being fever free is on the weekends. and we think okay this week will be good...then sunday night, a fever hits.

i know i am going to get bashed to all fucking hell and back with this one, but i have just sent him to school every day this week, eventhough he has had a fever the night before. only monday did he have a low grade fever of 99.1 but yesterday and today not a fever in the morning. i feel terrible for this, but he has missed so many days of school off and on that i feel like he is missing out on so much!

when i keep him home, he acts FINE. plays, eats, begs to go to school, etc. no fever all day.

so has anyone been through this? i know there is a chickenpox outbreak at school right now, but he has been vaccinated, and it isnt like getting the chicken pox is the worst thing in the world to get. i have looked for signs of that, he has none. so i just dont know. i need some advice.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM
It is hard the first year or so when they are sick all the time. Their little immune systems take quite a hit when they are around so many others germs. It will get better.

Most schools won't consider 99 or even 100 a fever. The preschool my kids attended wouldn't send a child home unless the fever was 101.1. So you may want to check and see what the school considers a fever. That way if he is only running 99, there is no need to keep him home.

98.6 is not everyone's normal temperature either. I tend to run on the lower side, while my husband tends to always be on the higher side.

On a rarer note there are such things as fever disorders. While not common, they do occur in children. There are differ t forms of this disorder . Some cause fever with no apparent virus or infection, some show fever with chest pains and joint swelling. Just something to think about.

Good luck, it does get better
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

thanks so much :) i will consider all of that

Quoting Anonymous:

It is hard the first year or so when they are sick all the time. Their little immune systems take quite a hit when they are around so many others germs. It will get better.

Most schools won't consider 99 or even 100 a fever. The preschool my kids attended wouldn't send a child home unless the fever was 101.1. So you may want to check and see what the school considers a fever. That way if he is only running 99, there is no need to keep him home.

98.6 is not everyone's normal temperature either. I tend to run on the lower side, while my husband tends to always be on the higher side.

On a rarer note there are such things as fever disorders. While not common, they do occur in children. There are differ t forms of this disorder . Some cause fever with no apparent virus or infection, some show fever with chest pains and joint swelling. Just something to think about.

Good luck, it does get better

Mommyof3toddler
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I would probably do the same thing though just because like you I wouldn't want my kids missing out. My parents always sent me to school sick I had to be super sick to stay home. Which was rare I think we as parents kinda know if there would be a problem sending them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Bump
BEXi
by BEXi on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Did you take him out in public a lot BEFORE prek?

It's not too late to make some
         extra Holiday money!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Only normally. To the grocery store, walmart, dollar store, restuarants.

Quoting BEXi:

BEXi
by BEXi on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Not around other kids or anything? Your son's immune system has just taken a hit from all these new germs it has never experienced before. This year is going to be rough, but it will get much easier. Fevers are a good sign that the body is fighting infection, so dont give your son tylenol for every single fever. Of course you want to watch it and make sure it doesnt get too high, only give the tylenol if it does get to that point. He'll be okay ♥

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BEXi:

It's not too late to make some
         extra Holiday money!

laineylarue
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM
I just have to ask, does he have a regular sleep schedule? My 10 yr old used to get low grade fevers when he was beyond exhausted around that age & as soon as he got a good nights sleep he's wake up just fine. I know it's not something usual but just an idea...hope he feels better soon
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

ds is in his 2nd year of prek and this year is worst than last..although he was sick a lot last year, but this year it's almost the same as your ds except for the fevers. He's been out of school for almost two weeks because of an incident that happened that made me not comfortable sending him there but he has been SO HEALTHY!!! It's crazy. We are moving soon so thats why I havent re-enrolled him somewhere else yet, he will have a new school once we move. But just know that you are not alone..this year up until the last few weeks have been HORRIBLE!! Hang in there..hopefully he'll get over all the sickness soon and be his normal self again!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks that does make me feel a little better.

Quoting BEXi:

Not around other kids or anything? Your son's immune system has just taken a hit from all these new germs it has never experienced before. This year is going to be rough, but it will get much easier. Fevers are a good sign that the body is fighting infection, so dont give your son tylenol for every single fever. Of course you want to watch it and make sure it doesnt get too high, only give the tylenol if it does get to that point. He'll be okay ♥

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BEXi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)