Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Wal-Mart Story ***EDIT***

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
  • 54 Replies

DH and I were at Wal-Mart yesterday, doing a little shopping for household stuff. We were in the check out lane when this woman with her son and Mother came up behind us. My 3 year old started talking to the son, who the Mother said was 3 as well.

She then proceeded to ask him of he needed a soda and told him to grab a 20 oz. out of the case! I was shocked! The kid did and gulped, like, half the bottle. She looked at us and was like "he just loves his Mt. Dew!"

Now, I'm not a big stick in the mud about a lot of things, but my kids aren't allowed to have soda like that. If they have an upset stomach, they can have some Sprite, but that's it. It's just not something we think they should have.

I didn't say anything to her, just smiled and started putting my stuff on the belt. Not my kids, not my place to say anything.

Just thought I'd share.

****EDIT*****

Calm down, y'all, geez. I'm not saying she's a horrible mother, it's just not something I'd do. I'm not perfect in the least. Hell, the other day, my kid had cake for breakfast (my birthday was Monday)! I guess I'm just a stickler when it comes to my kids having soda...it's not something I want them to have and am shocked (for some reason) when I see little kids having it. That's all...I posted this for conversation, that's it. So calm down! lol

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilsalcro
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Okay. Some people allow THEIR children pop. Do I agree with it nope , but it isn't a shocker either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traceyssel
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM
My mom lets my 3yr old sister drink mt. Dew. This girl will hunt for soda. She will do anything to get one. She will climb onto of a counter and jump to another counter just to drink someone's pop.

I won't let my kids have pop until way older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM
I probably would have been a little put off by that too. My kids drink soda in moderation (like if we're eating out.. or in that situation, i'd let them have Orange soda or rootbeer) but never, ever, mt dew.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I get embarrassed even giving my kid sprite once in a LONG while.  Makes me think people are staring.  My oldest is 6, and he's NEVER had Mt. Dew!  Once in a while a sip a coke or pepsi..NO MORE then a SIP!

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Ughh.. Im a.big no kid drinks soda kinda person...especially at 3..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
My 10 uears is not aloowed to have my dew
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hot_Badonkadonk
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

It does happen...

I hate the kool-aid in the bottle!

Regina_Falange
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It's soda.... Not a fifth of tequila. Calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Mt Dew will rot their teeth.  Where do you live?  They had this study about the kids in I think Arkansas and how they basically drink it like water.  There are dentist that have gone up there to help w/ these kids and try to educate them on what is good to drink and what isnt.  It was a sad documentary I watched about it0-- I think they showed some stuff on Dateline too.  Mt Dew is addicting. My kids have sprite and they also have orange but I don't let them have dark sodas.  Mostly at parties and stuff is when they get an opportunity to drink some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

When my sister began having kids, she instituted the "no soda unless it's a special occasion" rule. I thought she was crazy. I was a college student living on coffee ad rockstar drinks. Soda was nothing to me.

Then I grew up, had a child and see her point. My two year old has never had soda, and will not for a while yet. We don't drink it often at all and don't keep it around. 

I'm glad I never told my sister how I felt, eating crow is no fun, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)