Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving out of country with kids question?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

Do I need full custody to move out of the USA with my kids or to get them passports? How exactly does that work? Or do I need the dad's consent even if I have full custody? If I don't get full custody in the divorce how will will that work? I'm not trying to do anything illegal, just trying to find out how it works and all first...

But anyway I was offered by a friend of mine with a lot of money to live with them in their apartment...But it's in another country...And IDK how to go about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Look up advocates in your state maybe? Call a family law lawyer? Never had to dela with custody issues so here is a bump for you.

MissMysteriouss
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM
The childrens father has to agree for you to move out of state, let alone out of the country.

If he doesn't agree and you choose to go anyways, he could get full custody.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wolfmomma1997
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Yes.  No matter what the custody agreement is, you will need your ex's permission to move them out of the country.  UNLESS he signs his rights over to them, 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

But If I get full custody I still need his consent? Is what I'm trying to ask...

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

The childrens father has to agree for you to move out of state, let alone out of the country.

MissMysteriouss
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Yes even with full custody he would normally get atleast every other weekend visits. Only way you could go without his consent, is if his rights were terminated.

Quoting Anonymous:

But If I get full custody I still need his consent? Is what I'm trying to ask...

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madisonsma08
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
In Ohio if he has been absent for 2 or more years your free to do what you want. Now just to get passports you do not have permission even if he is active, you will just need it to leave the country.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)