Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HIV to cure leukemia???

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

There was a story on Yahoo today about an experimental treatments for kids with ALL (a type of leukemia) using the HIV virus. The doctor extracts T-cells (a type of immune cell) and injects them with a disabled strand of HIV then puts them back in your body. These T-cells are "reprogrammed" to attack the cancer cells!! It is amazing!

Would you have your child injected with the disabled HIV virus if it could cure their leukemia?

Here is the link in case anyone wants to read this story.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/hiv-virus-possible-cure-leukemia

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM
If they were already terminal, I don't see why not. I'd try anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM
It depends on if there was even the slightest chance they could get HIV if so then fuck no I would not replace 1 disease with another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof3toddler
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I was just thinking about this last night on the way home. I was asking my DH if he had heard about it. I think it is quite amazing myself and I'm pretty sure they said it was sterile HIV so I wouldn't see how it could give your child that disease. I would hope it they are smart enough to figure out how to cure it they wouldn't want to give you another disease that couldn't be fixed.

LauraMH
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is amazing too! And I do believe it is a sterile form. I wouldn't think that it would be medically ethical to give someone HIV even with permission. But to find something that destroys cancer cells only is such a huge step in medical care. I was so excited to read this!

Quoting Mommyof3toddler:

I was just thinking about this last night on the way home. I was asking my DH if he had heard about it. I think it is quite amazing myself and I'm pretty sure they said it was sterile HIV so I wouldn't see how it could give your child that disease. I would hope it they are smart enough to figure out how to cure it they wouldn't want to give you another disease that couldn't be fixed.

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
If there wasn't a chance they'd get hiv then id do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)