Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

really? then why do so many women do it freely?

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replySPOCK'S MILKSHAKE[]

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Replies (51-55):
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM
The Muslim women I've spoken to don't feel "oppressed". I'm an Orthodox Jew, I cover my head, I'm anything but oppressed.
I think that view comes from prejudice and ignorance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Wrong.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  In most of those, they are not FORCED to wear them - it's custom but it's also choice and not a huge issue if they don't wear the scarves.  When it becomes a forced issue as in when women are FORBIDDEN to leave their homes without them on, then it becomes oppressive.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Okay, keeping the theme going here, what would happen if you decided not to wear your coverings outside of home?

Quoting black_rose19:

When I'm out in public I cover everything except my hands and my face. When I am in the privacy of my home I can wear whatever I want. I usually just wear my pj pants and a cami. Since only my children and husband are at the house.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

How much are you typically covered when you're out in public and how do you dress when you're home?

Quoting black_rose19:

Why can men walk around in public without a shirt? Yet women cannot? In Islam a womens body is beautiful and desireable. So that is why God said for us to be covered so we would not be harassed by men. Mens bodies are not viewed the same way as a woman's.

Quoting Anonymous:

But why are they not given the same restrictions?

Quoting black_rose19:

Because in the Qur'an, men are only required to be covered from "navel to knee"

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok I understand why women wear them. But why aren't men required to wear long jeans and shirts? Why do they get to run around (and yes I have seen it) in a tank top and short shorts? This goes for catholics, hindus, etcetera.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black_rose19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Well, if I decided not to wear my coverings I'd be struck by lightning immediatly! .....Not really...

First, that is not something I would ever do, because I would feel naked without everything. It also has to do with my personal devotion to God. Not to mention my husband would be very upset.

But he would never push me to wear something I didnt want. Just like he had no say when I decided I wanted to wear the hijab. It has always been my personal choice.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Okay, keeping the theme going here, what would happen if you decided not to wear your coverings outside of home?

Quoting black_rose19:

When I'm out in public I cover everything except my hands and my face. When I am in the privacy of my home I can wear whatever I want. I usually just wear my pj pants and a cami. Since only my children and husband are at the house.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

How much are you typically covered when you're out in public and how do you dress when you're home?

Quoting black_rose19:

Why can men walk around in public without a shirt? Yet women cannot? In Islam a womens body is beautiful and desireable. So that is why God said for us to be covered so we would not be harassed by men. Mens bodies are not viewed the same way as a woman's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting black_rose19:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok I understand why women wear them. But why aren't men required to wear long jeans and shirts? Why do they get to run around (and yes I have seen it) in a tank top and short shorts? This goes for catholics, hindus, etcetera.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Just figured I'd help with clearing that up for some of the women who are going to argue about there being an absolute requirement of it.

Quoting black_rose19:

Well, if I decided not to wear my coverings I'd be struck by lightning immediatly! .....Not really...

First, that is not something I would ever do, because I would feel naked without everything. It also has to do with my personal devotion to God. Not to mention my husband would be very upset.

But he would never push me to wear something I didnt want. Just like he had no say when I decided I wanted to wear the hijab. It has always been my personal choice.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting black_rose19:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting black_rose19:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting black_rose19:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)