Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hipaa/Privacy rights violated by hospital staff.... WWYD

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM
  • 19 Replies
So my Dh and I took our son into the hospital for a pretty serious matter. While there we were admitted and spent the night.

A woman who knows my inlaws for at least 20 years works for the hospital in their environmental cleanup unit. She saw us as she was cleaning.

We thought our privacy would be protected. We didnt plan to tell anyone what actually happened to our son because it was a delicate matter really it's no big deal now but a month ago when this happened it was.

Fast forward to today. My mil calls to tell me this woman (cleaning staff at hospital) saw her and showed a picture she took of us in the pediatric emergency unit and goes into detail describing what happened. So my sons rights to privacy as well as mine and DHs were obviously violated.

I was pissed. I called he hospital and told them the name and exactly what happened. They are taking it very seriously. The supervisor said not only did she violate hipaa laws (cannot repeat anything about any patient she sees) she violated no picture laws and no cell phone laws. This is a serious matter to them.

This has been going on for the last hour. In the hour I discussed it with my husband and he said she is a nice woman, brought us blankets, has known his parents for a while and it's not right to do to someone like this who is nice and meant no harm.

I'm now royally confused about what to do. I explained to the supervisor when she called me just now, how I feel (as I described here) and that I don't want to get someone fired at christmas and I want to be confidential. She is serious about this And thinks I'm doing other parents a disservice if I don't go forward with this ...

I am now confused about what is right.

What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickensmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
They will fire her. That's a serious breach of privacy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Legally what she did was wrong. Personally it may have pissed me off but in the end I would not have cared enough to call the hospital. I'm a pretty open person...I think most people will agree with what you did. I just would not have cared enough to call
Hyman
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM
My husband made me feel bad for her and now I'm confused on if I even should move forward.

He was just as pissed but realized she is a good person and would lose her job. And it involves his parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM

report her ass....how many other patients rights has she violated doing the same kind of thing????

lalaboosh
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Umb, tell your husband that being nice doesn't trump breaking the laws. The idea that you're 'doing'm this to her is absurd, anyway. She made this mess. She got HERSELF in trouble. What's to stop her from violating someone else's privacy if you don't speak up?
PinkyPan
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

She deserves to be fired. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

She was nice because she wanted info on your son to tell others about, that included the pics she took with her cell. She deserves what's coming.

Amy_M
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly I think the damage has been done.  They now know she has violated the rules.  I don't think you calling in and saying oh nevermind will change anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM
She did this. Don't feel bad. I'm sure you are not the only person that will go there that she will know? She will do it again? Good for you for speaking up. She shouldn't work there
Bitchess
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

She needs to go. What she did was totally wrong, and she knew the policy and broke it anyways. Also your husband needs to understand if she was willing enough to do this to you, who knows what else she has snapped pictures of and who she let access them. 

boo   Daisypath Anniversary tickerschristmas tree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)