Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher problem?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

Ok, my daughter is 8 and she has the most wonderful teacher. Now all year I've been grateful to her for being so caring with my daughter and I've noticed she's that way to all the students. However...maybe I'm being silly but here's the deal.

A few days ago she brought a pair of pants for my daughter. Apparently her husband frequently gets access to free clothes that do not always fit their kids. I've seen her give small things like this to other kids, so I allowed it. Two days ago, my daughter's jacket zipper broke and it's wearing out some so I told my husband we should check the next sale and get her a new one now. Last night her teacher called and said that she had a whole bunch of clothes her youngest daughter outgrew and she'd like to give them to my daughter. So I met her outside and we talked. I wanted it to be clear that while we can't just drop money whenever, we can provide for our kids. She said she understood that, it's just her daughter grew out of this stuff and she knows with only one person working it would alleviate finances some to have a little help and since she was giving them away anyhow.... I couldn't really argue with her since I've used the exact same reasoning when giving stuff to others. 

Everything was fine, the clothes do actually fit my daughter, a little big which is just fine. Except one of the things in there was a brand new, very nice jacket with the tags still on it. I did consider that as warm as it stays here, maybe her daughter didn't get to wear it before she outgrew it, but it just seems very convenient.

Today my daughter came home with a stuffed toy. Not a little toy either. 

She's a wonderful woman, and she's very kind. It's just starting to make me uncomfortable. Am I just being silly? I can't say exactly why it is uncomfortable, it just is. Now, I don't generally ask folks for help and maybe it's just my independant nature rearing up. It's hard for me to be clear on it since I can't my finger on exactly why it's not comfortable.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
km1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Maybe she has a generous heart and doesn't know when enough is enough. If it is bothering you, maybe call her and tell her you really appreciate everything she's given your daughter, but you all are fine right now and maybe another child would benefit from her generosity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I am sure she is just being nice and nothing more BUT with that said go with your mommy gut.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
That's a bit weird to me. I'd ask her to stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)