Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So we got ds an aquarium and 6 fish for his birthday last week. Only 2 are still alive. We just keep telling him they're sleeping and scoop them out when he's not looking. :(

I just don't understand why they keep dying left and right. We originally put 3 guppies and 3 mollies in the tank, and now we're down to just 1 molly and 1 guppie. What a disastrous present. I feel like crap.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom5150
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM
How big is the aquarium?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I did all of those things. They gave my a vial to put water in to test it. I'll take a sample up to the store tonight. Thanks.

Quoting michiganmom5150:

Did you get the water prepared before you put the fish in? Did you float the bags to get them the same temp? If you put then directly into tap water, that could kill them. There are drops you have to put in. I had issues with my tank after 2 years and found a guy at the local pet smart who is very knowledgable. I'd seek out someone who knows and can help!

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

It's 5.5 gallons

Quoting michiganmom5150:

How big is the aquarium?

starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Go to your local pet shop and ask questions.  Thats how I found out I was feeding our beta fish too often and thats why his tank was getting dirty too quickly.  I asked questions and told him how we are keeping him and when I said how often we feed him, the guy quickly said thats why the tank was dirty.

Dechlorinating the water is buying those drops specifically for water for fish.  Ask for the drops at the store.  Do not use tap water w/o.  I even use it with bottled distilled water.

Could be a fish was sick or the temp of the water.  Ask lots of questions at the pet store!

mamaeagle216
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM
When our kiddos fish died ( carnival fish that died like two days later ) hubby told them they were just sleeping over and had to go back home. The kids are 2&3 so it seemed to be a pretty explanation to them lol. They never saw the floating fishy bodies so it was easier for us than you.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Because he's 3, and I didn't want to upset him that the gift I got him was a total failure. We haven't dealt with death before, so I'm not sure how to explain it to him.

Quoting kidlover2:

Why are you telling him the fish are sleeping? That's a little messed up. Any ways.... there are a lot of reasons your fish could be dying. Many good fish stores will test your water for you if you take them a sample and give you pointers.

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Wow I've never heard of that! Maybe I should let the water sit after they're done dying off before I get any more. Is there any way to tell a sick fish from a healthy one? That's probably a silly question, but I'm new to this lol.

Quoting mrssummerlin:

One of the fish could have easily been sick and got the others sick as well. Happens a lot.

beachbabies6
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

im probably misspelling it , you have to take the chlorine out of your tap water , it also helps to add something called stress coat it hepls the fish with a build up of thier "slime coat " it also helps protect them from some deseases

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

What's that? I've never owned fish before. I did everything the associates told me to do. Let the water run for a week before introducing the fish, set up a pump and filter, and I think I added water desensitizer or something. I've had a long day, so I'm not thinking clearly but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Quoting beachbabies6:

are you decorinating your water ?

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Lol we chose the honest route..... buybfish, fish die, kids come and tell me what fish is dead, I call dh, dh comes home after work, scoops out dead fishband flushes it, kids ask if they can get a new one, buy new fish.... repeat lol
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Oh ok, we did use those drops then. I'll check the temp and get as much info as I can together before going back to the pet store tonight. I'd like to replace them because seeing the fish really helps calm him down at night.

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Go to your local pet shop and ask questions.  Thats how I found out I was feeding our beta fish too often and thats why his tank was getting dirty too quickly.  I asked questions and told him how we are keeping him and when I said how often we feed him, the guy quickly said thats why the tank was dirty.

Dechlorinating the water is buying those drops specifically for water for fish.  Ask for the drops at the store.  Do not use tap water w/o.  I even use it with bottled distilled water.

Could be a fish was sick or the temp of the water.  Ask lots of questions at the pet store!

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I take it they handled it well? How did you explain it to them? I don't like lying to ds, I just don't know how to tell him.

Quoting eesmommy:

Lol we chose the honest route..... buybfish, fish die, kids come and tell me what fish is dead, I call dh, dh comes home after work, scoops out dead fishband flushes it, kids ask if they can get a new one, buy new fish.... repeat lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)